Need Help Setting up Tank

Tango

Reefing newb
Hi I'm completely new to Saltwater tanks.

I'm jumping in and getting a custom 125 gallon FOWLR

Is it possible to make the tank see through. Meaning no obstructions from the front and back panels?

My idea is to have the overflows (2) on each side of the tank. One on the left and one on the right panel, so you can see front to back without any plumbing etc. And one return possibly coming out of the left overflow.

Is this possible? What do I need to know about overflows? Do I need two? can they be slim to take up less space? Am I on the right track?

Hello and Welcome!

No, its not possible to make the tank totally see through because you need to have plenty of rock in there. The rock is your primary source of filtration, so you dont want to go skimping on it. But there are lots of very cool minimalist rockscapes out there.

And im not totally the right person to ask about the overflows, but i think your idea will work.

Here are some other good articles you should make sure you read and understand.
https://www.livingreefs.com/ideal-books-reef-keepers-t19535.html
https://www.livingreefs.com/basic-equipment-list-t19611.html
https://www.livingreefs.com/why-using-tap-water-bad-idea-t19865.html
https://www.livingreefs.com/cycling-tank-adding-fish-and-corals-t26452.html
https://www.livingreefs.com/water-chemistry-t31270.html

Research everything BEFORE you buy it, this is a very expensive hobby and mistakes are both costly and deadly, but easily preventable.

Thanks,

I know I sound like a total newb, but I've been researching for the past 2 months now

The only thing I have trouble on is the technicalities or the plumbing involved!

I will have rocks of course for the live rock, but I want to make the tank viewable from the front and the back because it will be separating a room. I guess I used the wrong term in see through lol! sorry to confuse you.

But thanks for your help!!

Hopefully someone can help me out with the technicalities of overflows etc.

I'm building a custom tank so I want to make sure the specs are right!

it is possible to run two overflows that dump into one sump..
the return can be one pump and I would run the pvc right up the corners right next to the overflows, or just run one return line in a corner..that will minimize as much sight of the pvc as you can..

it is possible to run two overflows that dump into one sump..
the return can be one pump and I would run the pvc right up the corners right next to the overflows, or just run one return line in a corner..that will minimize as much sight of the pvc as you can..

Thanks, so whats the point of having 2 overflows? am I ok to have just one in a 125 gallon tank?

nope one is just fine I thought in your post you stated you wanted two.. sry..
nope one that can handle about 1200 gals per hour will be fine... then run the return line on the outside corner of the tank in between the corner of the tank and the overflow box to hide it as much as possible..

nope one is just fine I thought in your post you stated you wanted two.. sry..
nope one that can handle about 1200 gals per hour will be fine... then run the return line on the outside corner of the tank in between the corner of the tank and the overflow box to hide it as much as possible..

THanks. I didn't know if I needed two overflows or one. I see a lot of 125-130 tanks with 2 overflows. I don't know the reason behind that. So I thought it was better to be safe and get two...dunno!

Thanks for the info!!!

nope one will suffice...:D
we have to save some money where we can in order to afford the corals and fish for inside the tank...

First off welcome to the site! I as well am a new member here but I will throw out a few ideas and maybe we can start some good conversation on the design you want.

I had previously written that 1 overflow/return would be enough if you can get a flow rate sufficient to cycle 10 times the volume of your tank per hour, but alas I was slow on the draw.

Last edited:
Hi Burch,

Well the tank is more of a room divider then in wall. It will be placed on an island between the kitchen and the dinning area. The tank will be 72" long 24" wide and 16" tall

I think I'm convinced by going with one overflow and return line next to it. Does the return need to be submerged under the water or can it waterfall onto the current water? My biggest fear is floods and I want to avoid all costs of possible flooding.

As for circulation, it will be all powerheads.

I don't understand the independent circulation pump tidbit at the end. I think eventually I'll draw out what I'm thinking about and then people can add their expertise to it.

The tank will be fish only. No possibility of any coral. So I don't think I'll need a refugium or calicum reactor.

As for filteration is concerned. What I have in mind is. Protein Skimmer. Then Aquaripure, followed by UV light and that's it. What do you think? Again it's FOWLR tank with just Live Rock and Fish, and clean up crew.

Thanks!

I would think you are also trying to avoid as much noise as possible, one thing you can do is make a spray bar out of pvc that is on the return at the top of the tank..

Thanks Marcah. I agree that method would be more silent, but the top of the tank will be exposed and I'm trying to hide as much piping as possible. So something descret like BL! has in the corner is perfect. However, his is submerged and I'm afraid of floods because of that.

BL1 I LOVEEEE your set up. It's basically what I want to do with mine. Except the corals and all that. I just don't have the time for corals. Your are beautiful and the tank looks amazing!!!!!

My question is, you don't have any powerheads on the one end. Is your circulation on? Also I noticed your return pipe is submerged. How do you prevent flooding in case of power outage? Thanks!

Oh ok so basically you will be able to walk around it? Will the existing framing be able to support the weight of the tank, water, sand and rock or are you going to be building another stand inplace of the island?

The return should be submerged slightly because if it isn't you end up with alot of turbulence ontop of the water which will splash all over the place.

The independent circulation is just an option that just adds flow independant of your filter system like the power heads.

With the aquaripure are you going to go with the sump design like the schematic on their website?? I am not at all familiar with this system but you might get by cheaper using a wet/dry trickle filter since you are already going to have to buy the sump, protein skimmer and return pump.

Last edited:
put a check valve in on the return line to make sure you get no flow back from the tank through that line..

WOW! so simple! Never even thought of that! Thank you sooooo much that really put my mind at ease! You guys totally rock in the forum!!!

My question is, you don't have any powerheads on the one end. Is your circulation on? Also I noticed your return pipe is submerged. How do you prevent flooding in case of power outage? Thanks!

Thanks for the compliments!

I decided that I wanted the end in the room to have no obstructions so I put all my powerheads on the opposite end. The side closest to the wall has 4 powerheads pointing towards the open end of the tank.

I've had plenty of power outages since starting this tank, and so far no overflowing. There's two things I've done to keep myself safe, first the return line that goes into the tank has a small hole drilled into it just under the water line so that if the tank loses power, that hole will break the water siphon and stop water from flowing down into the sump. And second, you need to make sure that your sump has enough extra space in it so that if your power does go out the sump can handle the extra water back flowing into the sump.

Oh ok so basically you will be able to walk around it? Will the existing framing be able to support the weight of the tank, water, sand and rock or are you going to be building another stand inplace of the island?

The return should be submerged slightly because if it isn't you end up with alot of turbulence ontop of the water which will splash all over the place.

The independent circulation is just an option that just adds flow independant your your filter system like the power heads.

With the aquaripure are you going to go with the sump design like the schematic on their website?? I am not at all familiar with this system but you might get by cheaper using a wet/dry trickle filter since you are already going to have to buy the sump, protein skimmer and return pump.

Yes a walk around!! there is no existing framing. I will build a custom stand in order to support the weight of the tank +. Ok I understand the indepdent circulation, it's also know as a closed loop system right? I love the idea of it, and it looks REALLY clean. But hate the idea of extra holes being drilled.

Yes I will definately get a sump, to make it look cleaner and have everything in the cabinet, like heater, UV lamp, Skimmer etc.

What does a wet/dry trickle filter do? What are the pros and cons to this. As I type this question I'll also be doing some research on this filter. But if you have a quick run down that will help too!
Thanks!!!!!

that check valve has saved me on alot of occasions but like brian said make sure the sump can handle the water just in case something mishaps.. after you get the sump up and running do a test run cut the power to the pump and make sure it can handle all water returning to it..

Back