My first saltwater... suggestions and/or corrections

thecaptain

Reefing newb
Hey everyone! I'm new... but you probably wouldn't have had to read much farther to know that. XD

I've been keeping freshwater aquariums for quite some time, and I'm considering starting a nano saltwater. Small, very small - no more than 15 gallons. I was thinking of using an aquaclear (110) filter, and LR for filtration, and I'm thinking (and hoping) that a skimmer would be overkill in such a small tank. I don't know what kind of lighting I'll use, but nothing too intense. I would like to get by on 1-2 flourescent strips if possible... but I don't know.

So... I would like one ( maybe 2!...?) small fish, a couple inverts like crabs, brittle stars or shrimp, and some corals. I know next to nothing about corals, so maybe this is unrealistic.

What would be some good livestock for this tank? All ideas, and corrections, are very! appreciated. Some help on choosing low(ish) maintainance, low(er) light corals would be great.

Thanks in advance!!

Welcome to reef.
I personally dont think you could ever go over-kill on skimming.But as long as the maintance is done right,then you can get by with it.
You'll need at least 4 watts of light per gallon,for low light corals.Which can be kept under power compacts.But I'd still go for a set of T-5s.

I have a 12 gallon nano. It's been up and running for two years. I have live rock, 1 percula clown, 1 neon goby, mushrooms, polyps, and 3 astrea snails. From what I hear there are no good protein skimmers for nanos, unless you would be going with a sump of course. It is just a waste of money. I try to do a small water change every 10 days, and my tank parameters are very well. With smaller tanks ,the need for water changes on a timely matter are critical for success.

The smaller the tank, the more difficult it will be to keep water quality high. Small tanks leave very little room for error. Like others have said, there really isn't a good quality protein skimmer for nanos. Weekly water changes of 10 to 20% are your best bet.

You have a lot of options as far as animals go. The best beginner corals (that don't require high lighting or feeding) are zoanthids, mushrooms and softies. All would be great in a nano.

PS -- I also have a 12 gallon nano.

no one can kill green star polyps ( I lost some in my 125 for 9 weeks and just found them, buried under a rock in total darkness. I put them out in the light for two days and they are all back to normal). If you do softies, you will do great. a colt coral, mushrooms, kenya tree (snicker, yote, snicker), GSP, you will be set. No need for a skimmer on that size tank. Just do water changes each week and keep it lightly stocked with fish 1-2 fish at the most. like a pair of firefish or a clown and a something else small.

-Doc

Thanks everyone! I think I might actually do a 20 gallon, but no sump, so I guess no skimmer. I'm very good with water changes; actually, I do them for fun. :D My original plan was going to be something around 55-75 gallons, but I just don't have the money, time, or space to do that now. I think a smaller tank would look really nice anyway.

What would be a good lighting unit for this size tank, for low light corals? I'm trying to keep it as inexpensive as possible... without buying junk.

Here's a couple fish I'm interested in - has anyone had any experience keeping them?

Orange Stripe Prawn Goby, Hi Fin Red banded Goby, Wheelers Watchman Goby, Ocellaris Clown, and Purple or Helfrichi Firefish, Sleeper Banded Goby.

Which would be best together?

i say two firefishes and for lighting i would go for coralife compact floressent at docter fost and smith or odyssea t5/compact floresent which u can get at aquatraders.

I have an Occelaris and a neon goby in mine. I would go with which ever ones you like the best. I really like the purple firefish. I wish I would of went with two Ocellaris though.

Check the price on Helfrechis and you'll probably change your mind about them. Those firefish normally run $150 to $200 apiece.

Any of the other fish would be great additions. I would not recommend more than one goby, they will compete with each other for food and one will likely end up starving.

those purple firefish sure are pretty. they do tend to get a touch territorial though if placed with really passive tank mates.

BTW, where the heck is Eaton Rapids, MI? I spent a lot of time in Grand Rapids

-Doc

Love the women in MI built completely different that the mostly Eastern European/WASP population of WNY a ton of german and dutch women.

Back