moving saltwater aquarium

baxter65

Reefing newb
Greetings:
I am new to saltwater aquariums but have had a cichlid tank for 4 years and am thinking about getting into saltwater. My question is related to the feasibilty of moving an existing saltwater setup which consists of corals and the following live stock: foxface,1mated pair of clown fish,sailfin tang,1 greenmandarin fish {male} 1 yellowtail blue damselfish,1 orange skunk clown,and 1 bicolor anthias. This setup is located about 4 hours away and am wondering if it could be done safely without losing the live stock.
Thanks for any insight you could provide.

It's definitely doable... but Sarah has a point. How big is the system?

Also welcome to the site!!

Thanks for the welcome.
It is a large 200 gallon setup, so realize this in itself would be a feat and realize I would need help etc. and know the weather could be an issue. I would expect to do this in a heated van that could maintain the right temperature. Thanks for your input.

It certainly can be done, it'll just take some careful planning. Moving substrate can cause issues and you don't want to start a cycle. Moving a tank is a topic that has been discussed frequently on here so try doing a search for it and you'll find lots of threads with good advice and warnings.
Good luck!

Going to want to remove all the rock / water / substrate and transport those in rubbermaid containers, and the fish would need probably need to be moved in several 5 gallon buckets. The issue I see with moving them this time of year is even in a heated van, I dont know how you'd keep the water in the 5 gallon buckets warm on a 4 hour road trip

The tank, stand, and any other misc stuff would best be moved in an open top trailer behind the van

power inverter that plugs into cig lighter so you can keep a few heaters in the pails with fish and other living things - long move long tear down long set up - i have done it in the past with success garbage cans for water 5 gal pails for fish and a bunch of friends are needed - proper planning you will be fine

Back