More Leaks

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
So, you remember my other thread about my leaking tank. Well, we got new bulkheads, and this time we didn't use anyone silicone or glue between the bulkhead the aquarium and the rubber gasket which caused the leak on my first try. So we put in the new bulkheads (just the bulkhead, the rubber gasket and the nut) and then put water in my overflow to see if it is a tight fit, and it is leaking again:frustrat: I am getting so frustrated. The only thing I can think of that might be causing it is we used the bulkhead that came with the sump (Eshoppe) and not the bulkhead that came with the aquarium. They looked like they were the same size and it fit snug, but I wondering because it is not the bulk head made for the All Glass Aquariums, that the size might be a little off. Oh yeah, I forgot to add. The reason why we used the Eshoppe bulk head on the drain line into the sump instead of the All Glass Aquarium bulkhead, was because the bulkhead came with a nice drain hose for the sump and the hose didn't fit the AGA bulkhead. Sorry if this is a bit confusing.

Any comment or suggestions is appreciated.

Last edited:
I also have the All-Glass brand aquarium with the overflow and i used the All-Glass bulkheads with silicone and so far not any problems. the tank has been up for 20 days now.

NewbReefer said:
I also have the All-Glass brand aquarium with the overflow and i used the All-Glass bulkheads with silicone and so far not any problems. the tank has been up for 20 days now.

One more thing. What kind of sump are you using, and what kind of plumbing did you use for the return and supply lines?

Im using a 29 gallon tank as the sump/Refuge. for the plumbing to and from the tank i used a braided vinyl tubing i bought from lowes by the foot with hose clamps to make sure they were fit. with the silicone on both bulkheads i put a bead inbetween the top of the bulkhead and the rubber gasket then another bead inbetween the rubber gasket and the glass for extra precaution.

Well, we fixed the leak. We just swapped out bulkheads and MADE sure we didn't over tighten the nut. I think that was part of the problem. Seriously ever since I have been in the SW hobby it has been a complete nightmare. I am surprised I haven't bailed out yet. But I know I will be rewarded in the long run. Wish me luck.

Those o-rings can be a pain,to loose they leak,to tight they leak.Glad you finally got it fixed though.
I know what you mean about SW being a nightmare some times too.But trust me,once you get all worked out,you'll be happy you stuck with it.

Back