Maxi Mini

Dashtrash400

Reefing newb
Well I have entered the world of anemones. I have had success with Sps some softies and lps, always wanted an anemone and a few days ago I got one. I'm really enjoying it and the colors it has are different than anything else in my tank. I've seen some videos online of them actively eating, not sure if mine is still settling in but he's not really taking food any suggestions there would be appreciated. Sorry for the picture qualities as always it's just a cell phone.
IMAG0377.jpg

IMAG0383.jpg

Very nice! I also have a purple and green maxi mini. I only feed mine every couple weeks. When the mouth starts to open a little more than usual that's when mine is hungry. Not sure about yours. You don't have to feed them very often though. Don't touch the front of it too much also. They are very sticky. Kinda feels like velcro.

Sweet! Very cool critters. Hopefully it stays where you can see it. I have a couple that never move and a couple that go walkabout every week or so. Mine get a tiny piece of silverside 2 or 3 times a month. They are lethal little nems so if there is perching fish like mandarins or blennys, they could end up as a snack. I had a nem kill a clown that kept trying to host it. Mine also spawn a few times a year. I cant figure out what triggers it but its cool to watch. Enjoy the new addition.

Interesting about the spawn. So do you have new ones pop up every now and again. Ya he has stayed put so far but so far is only 3 days. Brittany I'll hold back on the feeding and see if I notice the open mout thanks for the input. Post some pictures of yalls.

Never seen any eggs come out of any of them. They erupt like a volcano then "leak" for a while then erupt again. Goes on for about an hour and clouds up the tank. I got vids and pics of spawning and feeding. I'll post 'em up in a little while.

Wow interesting. How large are yours. I hear they are extremely easy to propagate simply by slicing them with a razor blade. I hear they heal in a few days.

I have a couple that strech out to about 6" across. They are easy to split...just be sure to cut the mouth in half and give them an iodine dip for about 5 minutes and throw them back in the tank. Best to have a "hospital" tank going to put them into. I noticed that bristle worms and other critters will pick at the split nem and prolong the healing process. Here is some pics and vids for ya.

PICT2053-Copy.jpg

IMAG0618.jpg

IMAG0722.jpg

IMAG0732.jpg

IMAG0724.jpg

IMAG0794.jpg

Not sure how many I can put in a post so I'll start another post

IMAG0736.jpg

IMAG0707.jpg

And the spawning nem...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaSDWk9hpSY]maxi mini nem - YouTube[/ame]

And feeding a nem...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2hNlBPjKZI]maxi mini nem feeding - YouTube[/ame]

Actually I was at Petco when the were opening boxes and floating bags when I saw the pink ones. They never made it into their tanks. My other nems and corals come from a friend of mine who sells online. Not sure if he is a sponsor here but he is on a bunch of other forums so I dont dare post his link. He does $19 overnight to the New England area and has an enormous selection of corals and very good prices. Let me know if you want the link and I'll PM it to ya.

How hard are these things to take care of? They look pretty neat. Are they as dangerous as other nems if they start having issues (can they nuke a tank)

Actually I was at Petco when the were opening boxes and floating bags when I saw the pink ones. They never made it into their tanks. My other nems and corals come from a friend of mine who sells online. Not sure if he is a sponsor here but he is on a bunch of other forums so I dont dare post his link. He does $19 overnight to the New England area and has an enormous selection of corals and very good prices. Let me know if you want the link and I'll PM it to ya.

I don't see an issue with posting the link, LA and other sites that are normally posted here, for people to purchase quality livestock from, aren't sponsors either.

Wow the corals look great for a great price also. I don't live close enough for the 19$ shipping but $34 isn't that bad. I think ill be ordering from him within the next Month.

How hard are these things to take care of? They look pretty neat. Are they as dangerous as other nems if they start having issues (can they nuke a tank)

They are easy to take care of. I've had mine for about eight months and its never moved or caught a fish. Very pretty if you get a good color.

Back