living on canal

zippyjr123

Reefing newb
I live off of a canal and i added some things to my 2week old 55gal tank... right now i have .... xp2 filter 60lb of live sand 41lb of live rock (still need 14lb or a lil more) and also a maxi-jet 900 ... also three starter fish(3.99-7.00$)... BIG ?question? .... i took some shrimp and a crab *(baby)* and put it into the two week old tank they are still living and it has been 4days ... is this okay or should i take them out?!!?!?! will they hurt or help the tank?!?!? and is it okay if i keep them in there...

If you can't get a positive ID on them i would remove them.

Many things you can just pick up out of salt water might not play well with corals and the reef setup.

My :twocents:
Brandon

zippy:

I did a quick search and didn't run across any definitive information.

My advise would be based on what you tend to keep in the tank. If you want fish and only fish then I would say you are probably ok as I did find some infromation about them not being hostile etc.

However, if you ever plan on keeping corals invertebrates etc I would remove it. Not because I can say it will hurt things, but because I can't say it wont. You are better off safe then sorry and from my experience crabs in general cause problems.

Hope this helps
Brandon

Back