live rocks

delucs414

Reefing newb
hey everybody, i have just started my soon to be reef tank. it is currently cycling but i had a question about live rocks. my grandpa had a big reef tank about 10-15 years ago, he tore it down to down size cuz he was getting to old for a big one but neways i found some dry rocks in his basement the other day.they were live at one point but have been dry for about10-15 yrs. if i put some of theses and get some live rocks for the lfs, will it eventually become live or is it to old?

Yep they will become live eventually. It is important to make sure your grandpa never used copper in his tank. If he did, the rocks are trashed. If he can't remember, leave the rocks in some saltwater for a couple weeks and do a copper test on the water. If it reads zero, you're good to go. If it reads anything other than zero, you will know you can't use those rocks.

I agree with Biff...ask your grandad if he ever used copper in his tank, if not, then just rinse it off and place it in your tank. The live rock from the lfs will seed it...also, welcome to the site, glad to have you.

Back