Live rock Conundrum(sp?)

Jkraft136

Reefing newb
Friend of my wifes is moving across country and is selling all your live rock cheap. I'm getting over 100lbs for 65$. Only thing is the rock is covered with what i think is hair algae. Soo should i go for it or not? :) If i do what do u suggest for a Hair algae cleaner?

Heres some pics of the rock

th_100_0540.jpg

th_100_0541.jpg

th_100_0542.jpg

Last edited:
i would jump on it. as long as your tank doesnt have anything to feed the algae then it will die off. maybe go out and get some rock prep or just take a tooth brush and scrub on it..

I would buy as much of it as i can and put it all in a large trash can with no lights, run a power head and keep them in there for a few weeks so the algae is completely gone. I wouldnt put it in my DT right away.

I would buy those rocks in a heart beat! That is a great deal. I use to put my rocks in the sun. The sun is a good way to clean the rocks!

So the wife picked it up this morning. Well anyways I told her to leave it in the bucket, well just got home and she already aquascaped with it :( soo I'm gonna pickup my fox face today. Also how well are nudis at eating it?

That's a good deal, although I would have done what cthegame said and left them in the dark for a couple weeks to kill off the hair algae.

I wouldn't recommend any sort of nudi for it -- nudis usually die within a couple weeks of being introduced into the tank, they just don't live very long. A foxface is a good idea, as is a couple mexican turbo snails. Emerald crabs are good too. You can manually try to remove as much of it as possible also.

well i'll pick up some turbos this weekend when i get the foxface. I already have 3 emeralds but i don't see them that much. Also if i don't seen any improvement when i get back from my work trip. There going in a container of darkness for awhile. Also i read that it feeds on phosphate and nitrate. Whats the chance it will lower my nitrates below 10? :)

Well i'm still recovering from using tap water when i started the tank. Was hoping to get nitrates to 0, then start scrubing and doing water changes after scrubing to keep most of the nitrates out of the tank

Back