List o' Fish

Dakwan

Reefing newb
I'm currently "theory-reefing" :mrgreen: a setup that i have planned for after i move next month. As many of you fine ladies and gentlemen know , since i've been asking tons of questions, the system planned is a 90g setup with a 50g sump/fuge. I've been looking up fish that i find attractive and will also be relatively easy to handle.

The fish i've been looking over are:

Yellow Headed Jaw Fish
(Opistognathus aurifrons)

Royal Gramma
(Gramma loreto)

Sharknose Goby
(Elacatinus figaro)

Pair of Black Percula Clowns
(Amphiprion percula)

Yellow Tang
(Zebrasoma flavescens)

Firefish
(Nemateleotris magnifica)

and if the tank isn't too crowded i'd like to try and fit in maybe 3 small fish that will school but i'm not sure what species to look for that will fit that requirements.

I know that you don't dump all the fish in at once :mrgreen: and that you add them slowly to prevent a new cycle and to give them time in quarantine. And that also perhaps i won't be able to find the fish i'm looking for locally and will have to go with a different species.. but these are all fish that seemed popular and easy to find "beginner fish" that i found interesting.

any feedback or experiences with the different fish listed interacting poorly? also any suggestions on good smaller schooling fish to look at?

I think that's a pretty nice list.. the only thing that I would say is that the yellow tang is rated at 100g tank, I think they use that parameter for the tank length of 6'...A typical 90g tank is 4'....I don't think it's out of the question though...just make sure you give him plenty of swimming room in the tank. Tangs are very popular and they also seem to be "ich" magnets...so you want to make sure that your tangs are always happy and not stressed.

The only other thing I'd say is make sure you have a god lid for your tank, some of those fish are known as jumpers. But very nice selections IMO. I wish I had a pair os Black OC Clowns...I think they're sweet.

The list looks good. A yellow tang will be fine in a 90. They are one of the smaller tangs, so a 4 foot long tank will be fine for them.

As for schooling fish, firefish are schooling fish, as are cardinals (but they are kinda ugly and boring) and green chromis. But anthias are probably the best schooling reef fish out there. They are bright, pretty easy to keep, and there are so many different types. Three anthias would be great on that list.

Back