Lights out

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
Well, I am going to try something to try to control the algae in my newly set up tank. Everything in this tank came out of my old tank, Live rock, water, and sand. My clowns, inverts, and corals (2 mushrooms, some Zoas, and a kenya tree) are in a ten gallon under a power compact. Anywase, I do know that some algae will grow in my tank once the lights go on, but I plan on having the lights of for the first month of the tanks life and see if this help control the algae. I talked to my friend who owns a Marine Fish store and says this is a good idea. I am not expecting a miracle and no algae will grow, but we will see if this helps.

I will keep you posted.

It will keep it from growing,right up untill you start running them.Id maybe just start out running the lights for for like a couple of hours at a time,then after a couple of weeks add another hour and so on.That way maybe the algae will use up the nutreints before it can get bad.

Yote, should I start doing the couple hours of light right now, or do my first month without lights, and then start running them 2 hours a day?

If it was me,,I'd start now.Basically all your trying to do is limit algae growth.If the algae food is there,then its gonna start growing as soon as you start running your lights any way.But by running the light just a little at a time,you might get just enough to grow to eat up some of their fuel,then kill when it turn the lights out again.

There is a big thread on RC about leaving the lights off for 2 to 3 days every month or two to help kill algae and keep it reduced. I think when you leave the light off it kills it then do a water change because when it dies it releases the nitrates ans phos back into the tank and a water change will help to reduce it. When I see the thread I will post it here for you to read. People are doing this in reef tanks will no ill effects, because in nature ans the thread says the reef will sometime go for days with no sunlight because of clouds and storms.

Bobby, yes I have seen that thread, it really makes sense with what you said about doing a water change after the lights have been out.

So, you guys think that having the lights completely off for a month really wouldn't do much good?

I guess I have seen my tank go through the algae cycle 3 times, because my tank has either been moved or I got a new aquarium and everything was transfered over. Like I said before I know that algae will grow, but I would like to control it to a point where it does not COMPLETLY cover eveything in my tank.

Thanks

Last edited:
Salty
How much of a cleaning crew do you have? And,are your running anything to help take the nitrates and phosphates out?
Im thinking that you might could control it enough to where your cleaning crew can take care of it before it gets out of hand with a low sun light cycle.I dont know,but its worth a shot.

Algae outbeaks are normal for a new tank and wiil take time to mature. I had a few outbreaks but I have everything in order right now. I do have some hair algae gorwing but it grows very slow and my lawnmower blenny, hermits snail and emerald crab keeps up with it quit nicely.

If your having such a bad out break something is wrong and you need to find the cause. What kind of food are you feeding? What kind of water do you use? Are you running a skimmer? What kind of skimmer? Whats you tank stocked with? Whatare your water perameters? If you answere these we might find something thats leading to exsess nutrients.

interesting...but limiting ligth hours wont afecct zoxanthelae???...does corals like zoas are at risk with that ligth reduction??...ive read that microorganism in the live rock need at least 8 hours a day of ligth for metabolism..is it safer to use other ways of contolling algae like cleaning crue , urchins, etc???..

bobby said:
Algae outbeaks are normal for a new tank and wiil take time to mature. I had a few outbreaks but I have everything in order right now. I do have some hair algae gorwing but it grows very slow and my lawnmower blenny, hermits snail and emerald crab keeps up with it quit nicely.

If your having such a bad out break something is wrong and you need to find the cause. What kind of food are you feeding? What kind of water do you use? Are you running a skimmer? What kind of skimmer? Whats you tank stocked with? Whatare your water perameters? If you answere these we might find something thats leading to exsess nutrients.

Food--Frozen mysis
Water--Reverse Osmosis
Skimmer--Super Skimmer, works great....
Live stock--50 lbs of LR (give or take) 2-3" sand bed, 10 hermits, 1 snail (I will be adding more very soon), 2 Clowns, and 1 cleaner shrimp.
Paremeters-- Ammonia 0, Nitites 0, Nitrates 10, I need to get a phosphate test kit as well as an Alkalinity. I also just started dosing with calcium.

What else should I use to remove excess nutrients?

RigoSharon said:
interesting...but limiting ligth hours wont afecct zoxanthelae???...does corals like zoas are at risk with that ligth reduction??...ive read that microorganism in the live rock need at least 8 hours a day of ligth for metabolism..is it safer to use other ways of contolling algae like cleaning crue , urchins, etc???..

The only thing in my tank that I am trying to control the algae is live rock. My fish and corals are in a different tank.

Have you tested the ro? It sounds like your doing everything right. You got low bioload, good skimmer, the right water, and right food. If you have alot of algae your nitrates and phos can test 0 because its using it up before you can test it. How often are you feeding the fish? If your feeding too much or to often the left over food will cause problem. With only two clowns I would feed everyother day and only enough for them to eat in about 1 to 2 minutes. Another thing are you straining the food before you put it in the tank? The juice in the frozen food will release phos in your tank. Also how often are you doing water changes and how much? You might be doing everything right and its just a part of the new tank. How long has it been set up?

bobby said:
Have you tested the ro? It sounds like your doing everything right. You got low bioload, good skimmer, the right water, and right food. If you have alot of algae your nitrates and phos can test 0 because its using it up before you can test it. How often are you feeding the fish? If your feeding too much or to often the left over food will cause problem. With only two clowns I would feed everyother day and only enough for them to eat in about 1 to 2 minutes. Another thing are you straining the food before you put it in the tank? The juice in the frozen food will release phos in your tank. Also how often are you doing water changes and how much? You might be doing everything right and its just a part of the new tank. How long has it been set up?
No I haven't tested my RO, should I purchase a TDS meter?

No I don't strain the food before I feed, do you use a fine metal or plastic strainer?

I do a 5 gallon water change weekly, should I boost this up?

The tank was up and running for a little over three months, but a few weeks ago I transfered everything over to a new drilled tank because of leeking problems. I forgot to mention, I used ALL the water from the older tank as well as the sand and live rock.

Thanks for the advice.

Water changes are good. I would say its just the tank maturing. But there still is a cause. You can just use a net to strain. I had algae out breaks for months after it hit 2 months old finnaly it balanced out and the is staying low. You can try testing the ro but it sounds like your doing everything right, I would just start straining the food and keep on the waterchanges and it should go away if your ro is good.

Salty,How long has it been since you changed the filter in your RO unit?If im thinking right the filters are only rated for X amount of filtered water before they start leaching the stuff back out.
Just a thought that might be worth checking out.

yote said:
Salty,How long has it been since you changed the filter in your RO unit?If im thinking right the filters are only rated for X amount of filtered water before they start leaching the stuff back out.
Just a thought that might be worth checking out.

My RO unit is only 4 months old, but I am going to purchase a TDS meter this week.

Also, how much and how often do you guys recommend doing water changes?

Thanks alot, you guys have been tons of help.

10% weekly is a good change to do so about 6 gal a week but 5 like your doing if good to. I was doing them every week on my 30 but have slacked down to every 2 weeks and everything is good, however, at this point I wouldnt slack on your tank untill it matures and the algae subsides.

A TDS is a good purchase. I have read were some people have problems with a brand new ro unit, but it will let you know exactly were you stand on water quality.

I do a 10 gallon change every friday on my 55.The 30 gets 5 gallon every saturday.Sundays I start another 15 gallons mixing.But thats just me,It gives me a good excuse to play around with my systems,and the toys that goes with em.
I think I would invest in a TDS meter if it was me.Like Bobby said,it'll let you know where you stand with your filter.Of course you can always just break out the ole test kit too.

Well, I decided on what to do. For the first week I am going to have the lights on for 2 hours, then the second week they will be on for 3 hours and so on... Followed by water changes weekly. Then once the algae start to grow I will be adding my cleanup crew.

Seriously, this is why I love this hobby. Everything is sort of a challenge and the possibilities are endless.

Back