lights for new 55

steelcity

Reefing newb
Just picked up a 55 free from a friend. Need to clean it and dust off the stand some. Also got his old light but I think it needs a new ballast and has a fair amount of rust on it. So I think I'm just going to get a new fixtures. The tank is in good shape and has no major scratches. So my first two saltwater tanks have been free. Can't beat that.

Need advice on 48" fixtures. Looking to keep going with my softies and LPS. Not interested in SPS or anemones. I don't know the difference between 10k lights and 6500. Maybe something that has moon lights built into it as well. I like night pics with corals glowing.

You should get some T5s. The difference between 10K and 6500 is simply the color. The larger the number, the more blue the bulb. 6500 is really white, 10K is whitish blue, and 12K and 20K are even more blue, etc.

You can get T5s with moonlights built in too.

+1 Biff...go with t5's....i hear nova extremes are good...
also check out ndepratts site...he has some nice products.

I'd stay away from Odyssea, which are the cheaper Chinese knock offs of similar looking American products. They got a really bad rap a few years ago for their metal halide lights setting fires, but then supposedly in the last couple years fixed the problems, but that company's quality in general is still pretty subpar. Current Novas are very good lights for the price. Probably about the best value you'll find. I have a 48" set of Current Nova Pro T5s and they worked great for me. The Nova Extremes have individual reflectors and are considered a higher caliber than the Pros, and they are a bit more expensive because of this.

I`d like to speak up for VHO`s esp. since you dont want to get the high light corals. You can get some VHO retro fits for a reasonable cost.Here is a pic of mine. They are just bulbs and endcaps down to two ballast and a switch. Real simple.

100_0972.JPG

Biffs actually got it backwards.The Nova Pros have the individual reflectors,but the Extremes are also great lights.The Extremes have the moon lights,but I dont think the Pros do.
With either fixture,you could keep any corals you want and not have to worry about upgrading later if you decide to add more light demanding animals.

i run the nova extreme pro 72" fixture
no moon lights
got it from NDEPRATT
contact him
he can get you a really good price

Biffs actually got it backwards.The Nova Pros have the individual reflectors,but the Extremes are also great lights.The Extremes have the moon lights,but I dont think the Pros do.
With either fixture,you could keep any corals you want and not have to worry about upgrading later if you decide to add more light demanding animals.

Geez Yote! You're making me look bad!! ;)

Yep my bad. Got them switched.

For a 55 that is 48" long x 13" wide x 20" high, can I get away with a two bulb T5 fixture or will I need the 4 bulb fixture. Only plan on softies and LPS.

The Nova Extreme 2 bulb is 1 slimpaq actinic and 1- 10K (108 watts) and the 4 bulb is two of each kind (216 watts).

Which one will I need?

For a 55 that is 48" long x 13" wide x 20" high, can I get away with a two bulb T5 fixture or will I need the 4 bulb fixture. Only plan on softies and LPS.

The Nova Extreme 2 bulb is 1 slimpaq actinic and 1- 10K (108 watts) and the 4 bulb is two of each kind (216 watts).

Which one will I need?

You'll need at least 4X 54watt bulbs on a 55gal.

Actually, Biff was right. The new Nova Extreme has single lamp reflector. It also have fans and Lunar Lights. The old one didn't have lunar lights.

Nova Extreme T5H0 | Current What's Next

HMMM
When did they start that?

You quit trying to make my buddy yote look bad. One morning you might just wake up with a crab head in your bed! Be fair warned. :lol: :mrgreen:

Which one will I need?

For LPS, you wouldn't want to do any less than 4 bulbs.

Back