lighting help

you mean like rotate them but the LED's are still pointed down right? If so, yea that's how I have mine mounted. I'll snap a pic for ya.

b0677094.jpg

sorry they are a little hard to see. I have no problems with heat, they are cool to the touch and mounted directly to the acrylic hood.

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing. On craiglist there is two reef Marineland lights for $150 are they anything close to these ai sol.

No they are not even close. But I have the Marineland Reef Ready LED on my 36g and really like it and will probably get one for my 60g when finances allow. They are not bad for the money, but are no where even close to AI SOL.

The Sol's blow the marinelands out of the water. You do end up paying for the difference though. One good thing about the Sols over the marineland though is modularity. When AI comes out with new bulbs or different reflectors or say one of the 8 LED units burn out, a few screws and you can switch all of that out. So big initial investment but cheaper in the long run. They are also modulare in the sense that you can buy 2 for your 75gal right now and if you ever upgrade to say a 125, you can just buy one more Sol and you are in business rather than having to get a whole new fixture.

Using two units on a 48 inch tank, I would start with them 10-12 inches above the water, and adjust until you get the coverage you're looking for

You can also buy a hanging kit for the AI Sol, and someone suggested to me a few weeks ago hanging them from shelf brackets on the wall instead of from the ceiling if the ceiling wasn't an option. I ordered the AI Sol 2 unit kit from aquacave, which came with the rails, the hanging kit (add on a few dollars), and the controller for all of the different settings. Aquacave was the only place I found where I could order the package deal rather than buying everything individually. Mine arrive tomorrow!

here is another great place to order through.. Great service and always willing to help with descisions.. Spoke with George on the phone the other night for an hour, Was more then willing to answer all my questions plus give me more advice... One thing I like about them is they dont push their products to me, they are always willing to give advice on what I need..
http://www.reefgeek.com/

Back