Lighting , Coral

A ballast is the part of the fixture that ignites and keeps the flourecent bulbs running. Inside a bulb is a gas that at the proper current/voltage/frequency emmits energy in the form of light. In flourecent bulbs, this light hits the powdery coating on the inside of the bulb and this coating floureces and emits a different wavelength of light. Different types of coatings give off different types of wavelengths.

With out a ballast, the bulb would not ignite. If it did, the gas, which when excited by the electricity becomes a plasma, is highly conductive. The ballast keeps the current at a certain level so that the plasma doesnt become more and more conductive. The more conductive something is, the more current will flow through it.

Ok, I know a bit more than you wanted:D so the ballast is the thing that lights the bulbs and looks like a brick. On t5s, they are generally internal to the fixture.

MH also have ballasts, but due to their larger size, tend to be external to the fixture.

It doesnt seem to have individual reflectors so i think that will limit what you can have with it.

What are the dimensions of your tank?

Features:
  • Dimensions - 47.50" x 7.50" x 2.15" (2.65" with brackets) Mines : 48" x 12"
Personal Ratings
  • Extendable to 52" long max with bracket Mines : 4/4
  • Supports 4x 54W T5 High Output lamps Mines : 4/4
  • Supports 4x Bluemoon LED Mines : 4/4
  • Quick disconnect ballast Mines : 3/4
  • Individual power cords for each function Mines : 2/4
  • Non-corrosive powder coated aluminum housing Mines : 4/4
  • Reflector
  • Acrylic splash guard Mines : 4/4
  • CE Certified Mines: 3/4

Comments

• Reflector
Uh there is a reflector what do you mean ? :helm2:

oh so it just make eletrical cheaper? and how about the coral thingy what can i keep with that lighting?

No doesnt make electric cheaper. It lets the lights turn on and keeps them on by giving them the proper volts and amps.

+1 to hannah, look for a fixture with individual reflectors. They increase light output greatly.

Idividual reflectors means that each bulb has its own reflector and not just a single reflector that covers all the bulbs.

Then you should save the money you have now until you can get nice lights. You wont be able to keep much with those lights you have listed.

Also you dont need a chiller.

my dad dont let me buy any thing online that is over 200$ so it has to be under that can you help me find a best one? :(

Size Tank : 60 gallon Standard
48 x 12

Goal : SPS , Brains , Zoas , GSP (Green Star Polyp)

Please :(

You're not going to find lights that will let you keep SPS for under $200. Maybe if you look on craiglist but, I doubt it.

fine take SPS off the list then now can you help me? and can somebody help me use the craiglist?

edit : errrr nvm i found out how to use it but can some one aleast help me find the light i want? :/ T5HO 10k 50W - 100W 2-4 bulb 48 x 12

Half & Half

1 White & 1 Blue
or
2 White & 2 Blue

Last edited:
Im gonna stick to the old lighting becuase the others cost too much so with out the 1 by 1 reflectors what kind of coral can i keep? my goal is the Green Star Polyp :sfish::question:

Back