Led's?

What can you tell me about them? The more i look into them the more im curious. I realize they have much more PAR than MH-T5's... but what i dont understand is the wattage aspect i guess. Like can i run 120 LED's on my 46g tank and its better than a MH light? Tell me what you know about them. This link is to what im looking at getting but would like to know more. 120w LED = what? idk...talk to me..

Dana, I have just put a 160 Watt Maxspect G2 on order and it is said to be just as powerful as a 250 watt metalhalide.

In saying that the 230 watt version is meant to be as powerful as a 400watt.

The other thing is they produce less heat and also use less pwer so thats a plus.

thats bout all i know but im excited :D

I think LEDs are going to be the thing in the future, but I don't think they are quite there yet. The good ones right now are too expensive and are not proven in long term use. I purchased the $3000 PFO Solasis system when it came out and had a very bad experience so I'm a bit skeptical for now.

Dana, I have just put a 160 Watt Maxspect G2 on order and it is said to be just as powerful as a 250 watt metalhalide.

In saying that the 230 watt version is meant to be as powerful as a 400watt.

The other thing is they produce less heat and also use less pwer so thats a plus.

thats bout all i know but im excited :D

What size tank do you have?

I think LEDs are going to be the thing in the future, but I don't think they are quite there yet. The good ones right now are too expensive and are not proven in long term use. I purchased the $3000 PFO Solasis system when it came out and had a very bad experience so I'm a bit skeptical for now.

What happened?

Poor David,one of the early adopters.I wholeheartedly believe LED has now arrived,has been for over a year now at the least.

Here is what I know........
LED does not penetrate water as well as MH.Deep tanks say 24'' or deeper need LED with focus lens and 3w Cree bulbs.Many fixtures use 1w bulbs with no lens.Soe come with elaborate controllers that can ramp up the bulbs like from 1-100 percent like true dust/dawn effect,others are setup just like any other T5 or MH,one switch for blues,one for whites.

On a 46g.,something like this no frills LED should be plenty of light.
LED Aquarium Lighting | Evolution LED Lights

What happened?

Solaris was one of the first companies to make LED systems available for aquariums. Their products were warrantied, but within a year or two of coming out with the lights, Solaris went out of business (for patent/copyright infringement reasons). So anyone that had bought their lights and had something break, or needed a replacement part, was SOL.

Solaris was one of the first companies to make LED systems available for aquariums. Their products were warrantied, but within a year or two of coming out with the lights, Solaris went out of business (for patent/copyright infringement reasons). So anyone that had bought their lights and had something break, or needed a replacement part, was SOL.

Damn that really sucks...Reeffreak TYVM....thats cheaper than the t-5 fixture ive been looking at. Think i got something new to save for.

Last edited:
There a guy in my area that is selling his for $750. but its been on craigslist for a long time. I talked to him and he did say there are after market parts avalible. Hmmm dont think I would want to risk it.

Give them a couple more years.

Back