KH question

When i tested my water yesterday my params were off a little and want to fix them asap. I just did a water change so this is weird. My PH and KH were low i think. PH was 8.0 and the KH was at 5 i think. Calcium was at 380. Was wondering what i can do to bring my KH up and what exactly should it be at? Could i just put some vodlka in the tank to bring it up? Same goes for PH and Calcium. WHat are some home remidies for these issues. Thanks in advance! You guys/gals are the best. <3

Vodka won't do anything for alkalinity or calcium -- it's not related to those parameters. Vodka is dosed as a carbon source for bacteria to boost bacterial populations in the tank.

Your pH is just fine and doesn't need adjusting.

Your alkalinity and calcium are a bit low, but how they turn out will often depend on the brand of salt you're using. A little bit of buffer and/or a calcium supplement should bring it up.

Remember to do it gradually, if you bring your alk up from 5 to 10 in one dozing you're going to hurt your tank.

So, its still LOW! Its at 5....guess i need to get on this asap. I doesed LCR last night. just tested.....repeat tonight? and everyother till it goes up to 8 or 9? and since my calcium is at 380 ppm what is too high for calcium levels?

Are your testing alk in meq/l or dKH?
If meq/l it should be 2.5 - 4
If dKH it should be 7 - 11
Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Being you live in a state that gets ice and snow, you should be able to find the chemicals needed to DIY your own supplements for calcium amd magnesium.
Look for Dow Flake (made by Dow) calcium chloride and Mag Flake (made by Dead Sea Works) magnesium chloride. For alk, you can use plain old Arm & Hammer baking soda.
An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Thanks Larry, to clarify about what im useing and going by this is the test kit. my 5th drop was what made the test final....

586bcab7.jpg

2f3d8775.jpg

Hey Dana :)

How do your corals look? Are your fish and inverts happy? Reason I ask is because for the last 6 months or so, I've been using ESV salt and get a pH of 8.1 that drops to 7.6 in 2 days and alkalinity of 6-7. Knowing those numbers were low, I used to worry. I get great polyp extension on my sps and lps. Zoas spit out a new polyp every week, and fish look happy. I know this might not be popular to say, but if your tank is doing well, I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers.

ps. they could be off. I had some issues with my api test kit when i first started. can you borrow a friends or take a water sample to your lfs for testing?

pps. when i was anal about my numbers and overdosed calcium by accident, the calcium precipitated and my tank had what looked like marine snow, or xmas crystal ball snow syndrome, so i guess that's how you know. :)

+1 ccCapt and if you want to raise alk AND pH, you can bake 2 cups for an hour on a baking pan. no guarantees your pH will stay high though. mine didn't bc i had other underlying issues. which i chose not to address.

Are your testing alk in meq/l or dKH?
If meq/l it should be 2.5 - 4
If dKH it should be 7 - 11
Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Being you live in a state that gets ice and snow, you should be able to find the chemicals needed to DIY your own supplements for calcium amd magnesium.
Look for Dow Flake (made by Dow) calcium chloride and Mag Flake (made by Dead Sea Works) magnesium chloride. For alk, you can use plain old Arm & Hammer baking soda.
An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Back