Is it time to add something????

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
I'm getting ready to head to my LFS for a cleaning magnet and some DI/RO water (he gives it away) to make some water to topp off my aquarium. I've got a bunch of crabs, snails and pods and I was wondering if I should put something in there. Don't want a fish or coral yet, maybe a shrimp? Would he have stuff to eat or would I have to feed him? Maybe a bigger crab? Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

Catherine

I have been advised to have a fish in a new tank first because the shrimp are more sensitive to the water quality but you might want to wait for someone to confirm this.

I would try a fish first. Beings you have a 26 gallon I'd look for a small fish that don't get to big. How long has this tank been up and running??

definitely put fish in first. Shrimp are more sensative than fish. Is your tank full cycled? If so then you can add your first fish. Maybe a pair of clowns or something since they are hardy fish.

honestly i would stay away from clowns since you can only add two or three fish to the tank you wouldnt have diversity in the tank with the all to common clownfish pair, get some sort of clown goby or a panda goby, those are really cool little fish and not as common

well, I went to LFS and totally forgot he's closed on Wednesday. I know I have to get a couple of those blue and gold fishes eventually (my daughter's high school colors). I really don't have much desire for fish except to support the really awesome corals I want. I think I'll wait a week or two to add something. I'm having loads of fun being a newbie and enjoying the simple process of watching the rocks change and the snails get eaten by the crabs. For some reason, I though a shrimp was easy like a snail. go figure. thanks for your suggestions!

Catherine

well, I went to LFS and totally forgot he's closed on Wednesday. I know I have to get a couple of those blue and gold fishes eventually (my daughter's high school colors). I really don't have much desire for fish except to support the really awesome corals I want. I think I'll wait a week or two to add something. I'm having loads of fun being a newbie and enjoying the simple process of watching the rocks change and the snails get eaten by the crabs. For some reason, I though a shrimp was easy like a snail. go figure. thanks for your suggestions!

Catherine

Those blue with gold tail fishes are damsels. I suggest not getting those. They are aggressive and if you get some and add them first they could potentially kill other fish you try to put in there.

but she did say she wasnt interested in fish..so maybe a damsel would be easy livestock for her and enable her to get the coral she would like without eating all of it.

Those blue with gold tail fishes are damsels. I suggest not getting those. They are aggressive and if you get some and add them first they could potentially kill other fish you try to put in there.

Well, it figures. I'm going to wait a bit for fish.

Thanks!

Catherine

I would not be opposed to adding a yellow-tail damsel into a tank. They are actually the most passive of all the damsels. I had several in my 125 and they got along great with everyone. It all depends on what the ultimate goal of the tank is: Fish or Coral?

-Doc

I would not be opposed to adding a yellow-tail damsel into a tank. They are actually the most passive of all the damsels. I had several in my 125 and they got along great with everyone. It all depends on what the ultimate goal of the tank is: Fish or Coral?

-Doc

very true.

If a yellow tail damsel is the most passive,then the others are as bad as a nest of pissed off yellow jackets.

Look for a yellow watchman goby, they have these cool blue spots (there's your colors covered) plus you could eventually get a pistol shrimp and they will pair up and dig tunnels in the sand, lots of fun to watch! Plus the goby won't be as bossy as a damsel. You could get lucky though, with the yellow tail damsel like I did, who was a wimp hiding in the rocks 24/7.

don't get a damsel. A good starter fish is a clownfish. If you get too many inverts first they may starve if there isn't any fish poop or leftover fish food to eat.

Back