Ich, Ick!

The reason I have the first one on QT because just showing how to set one up plus he gives some good insight on ick the next two are the best I`ve read on ich. The last one is that I personally think the best way to tackle ich is Hyposalinity. The articles can tell it better than me.

+1 Mike I do hypo to all new fish in a QT for at least 6 weeks. No need for the chemicals with this method most of the time. Just be sure to change adn/or check water every day especially if it is not a cycled tank. Since doing this ich has not made it into my DT. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Doing hypo now, I've also heard, and had some success with raising temp to 84 with FISH ONLY in the qtank, which takes care of the eggs, apparently I did notice somewhat of a difference, though it might be my imaginations.

Does this part of the cycle really last such a short time? Because these spots came and went in less than 12. Or is the fish fighting the infection and it's fine to leave them to it?.

The life cycle of the parasite is interesting and important to understand when evaluating a treatment. The stage where the parasite is attached to a fish is called a trophont. The trophont will spend three to seven days (depending on temperature) feeding on the fish. After that, the trophont leaves the fish and becomes what is called a protomont. This protomont travels to the substrate and begins to crawl around for usually two to eight hours, but it could go for as long as eighteen hours after it leaves it's fish host. Once the protomont attaches to a surface, it begins to encyst and is now called a tomont. Division inside the cyst into hundreds of daughter parasites, called tomites, begins shortly thereafter. This noninfectious stage can last anywhere from three to twenty-eight days. During this extended period, the parasite cyst is lying in wait for a host. After this period, the tomites hatch and begin swimming around, looking for a fish host. At this point, they are called theronts, and they must find a host within twenty-four hours or die. They prefer to seek out the skin and gill tissue, then transform into trophonts, and begin the process all over again from Reef Keeping.com article

The life cycle of the parasite is interesting and important to understand when evaluating a treatment. The stage where the parasite is attached to a fish is called a trophont. The trophont will spend three to seven days (depending on temperature) feeding on the fish. After that, the trophont leaves the fish and becomes what is called a protomont. This protomont travels to the substrate and begins to crawl around for usually two to eight hours, but it could go for as long as eighteen hours after it leaves it's fish host. Once the protomont attaches to a surface, it begins to encyst and is now called a tomont. Division inside the cyst into hundreds of daughter parasites, called tomites, begins shortly thereafter. This noninfectious stage can last anywhere from three to twenty-eight days. During this extended period, the parasite cyst is lying in wait for a host. After this period, the tomites hatch and begin swimming around, looking for a fish host. At this point, they are called theronts, and they must find a host within twenty-four hours or die. They prefer to seek out the skin and gill tissue, then transform into trophonts, and begin the process all over again from Reef Keeping.com article

If this is correct, wouldn't it be true that the ENTIRE ich lifecycle be roughly 37ish days? If so the DT would only need to be fallow for that length of time before adding new fish(that have been properly treated)

Once the last iched fish was removed the timer begins as no new trophont stage ich is going to be introduced, once that last batch of trophont goes through the cycle, the cyst breaks and the theronts go 24hrs without host and dies, no more ich would be present...right?

Using that same logic once the symptoms of the trophont stage has passed and no more ich is present on the fish(this is in the QT) then remove the fish, dump the water out and refill it...the fish is free of any ich and the water is clean..wait 40 days to be safe and put them back in the tank....or am I missing something here as well?

Edit: after thinking about this, we could wait 10 days in QT for the trophont stage to be well passed and then dump the water and freshwater dip the fish to be sure and then they would be good to go.

Using that same logic once the symptoms of the trophont stage has passed and no more ich is present on the fish(this is in the QT) then remove the fish, dump the water out and refill it...the fish is free of any ich and the water is clean..wait 40 days to be safe and put them back in the tank....or am I missing something here as well?

Edit: after thinking about this, we could wait 10 days in QT for the trophont stage to be well passed and then dump the water and freshwater dip the fish to be sure and then they would be good to go.

In theory i guess you could do this, if all the trophonts are at the same stage of life. you may not see all of the parasites. Some could be in the gill area. I suppose after they drop off you could empty the tank and refill but seems extra stressful on the fish. I like to consider the QT a spa for the fish to chill for a few weeks without being bothered by the other fish.
It may speed up the process. I have tried to speed up the process as you said but I have not been successful. The ich seems to come back. I rather just wait it out a couple more weeks, I am no longer in a big rush to get the fish in the DT, I have killed to many that way. Baby steps for me now.

Back