i was trying to delete this....

Sargassum is a genus of brown (class Phaeophyceae) macroalgae (seaweed) in the order Fucales. Numerous species are distributed throughout the temperate and tropical oceans of the world, where they generally inhabit shallow water and coral reefs. However, the genus may be best known for its planktonic (free-floating) species. Any number of the normally benthic species may take on a planktonic, often pelagic existence after being removed from reefs during rough weather. However, two species (S. natans and S. fluitans) have become holopelagic - reproducing vegetatively and never attaching to the seafloor during their lifecycle. The algae is named for the Atlantic Ocean's Sargasso Sea, which hosts a large amount of several species of Sargassum. word.

Although it is hardy enough, live sargassum is ordinarily not kept in home hobby tanks simply because it grows too fast and too large for a typical closed-system aquarium. As Anthony Calfo puts it, " Other species [of macroalgae] are quite sturdy but simply grow too large or too vigorously, like Sargassum, for most display tanks."

For this reason, most hobbyists will do better with the artificial Sargassum plants I recommended, which make ideal background decorations for tall tanks.

i guess ill find out how fast it will grow.

Got 10.6lbs of new rock! + a blue chromis
3795908733_c129f5a9f3.jpg

The coraline on the one below is almost orange, hard to tell from the pic though.
3795908975_b28dae0e74.jpg

3795908189_5b7f927b88.jpg

3796727106_da0d1f137b.jpg

hehe. actually, in a tank, it's no funny business. When you have some bigger snail or some fish that like to play with sand, you rock will fall. And when the rock fall, it'll break the glass. :shock:

I currently don't have any LR leaning on glass but seems like it is ok and many people do that.

i just poked them all, not going anywhere.

If you are planning to get any sand sifting fish or invertebrate, you'll have to try to remove the sand underneath the rocks to see if they move as well...

okay, thanx, i wouldnt of thought of that! i have a couple nassarius snails and 12 hermits. I dont think they posses the shear brute strength to move those rocks yet though. Maybe a big hermit, snail, or sand sifting star. The rock is not touching bottom, so it is possible to shift them. You think the one leaning on the glass is okay, maybe i should move it?

I think the one leaning on the glass is ok. If your rock is not touching the bottom, i would be very worry. The snails don't have to have the strength to move the rocks. They just need to move the sand "near" the rock and it's enough to get the rocks to slide!!

I think the one leaning on the glass is ok. If your rock is not touching the bottom, i would be very worry. The snails don't have to have the strength to move the rocks. They just need to move the sand "near" the rock and it's enough to get the rocks to slide!!

what do you suggest i do then?

Either make the rock work at least "look" more stable, or push off the sand and get the rock to touch the bottom.

The rock is fine leaning up against the glass. Most people have rock up against the glass. I however, would not have stacked the rock on top of the sand. I would have set it on the bottom of the tank and poured the sand in over and around it. You get more stability that way. You'd be surprised at how easily a burrowing fish or snail can dislodge all your aquascaping.

I agree with em.
Even the water flow can blow the sand from under the rock,causing it to fall.
When I set my tank up,I put in the base rock first.Then added the sand,then the live rock.That way I know its not going anywhere.

Back