Help me with my skimmer!

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
I just got my skimmer in the mail today. It's an aqua C Remora pro. (At least its supposed to be, how do you tell the difference between it and the regular aqua c?). I bought it used so I'm wondering what I should use to clean it before put it in my tank? Other that that, I'm looking at a bunch of parts and no instructions!!! LOL, I'm sure I'll figure it out....

Use a vinegar-water solution to clean it with, then rinse it well. Tap water is fine. It shouldn't have a bunch of parts, it's pretty simple. If you post pictures of each part, I can tell you how they fit together (I have one also).

Ok, I got it all figured out. The only thing is the pre-skimmer, I don't think its for a pro, I can't get it to fit anyway I look at it. It's got some busted teeth anyways. The rest I have figured out. I'm gonna wash it up now ans set it up

great. love to hear it. it should flow well from the start without a lot of microbubbles since it is already used.

-Doc

Ok guys, and you too Biff. What is this supposed to look like while running? I am getting alot of bubbles accumulating in the collection cup, other than that the thing is reasonably quiet, but the pump is huge and obnoxious in my little 46g. I may switch spots with my powerhead so the pump is at least in the one corner of my tank

I think on the remora you move the band around it up till the bubbles are at the base of the riser tube then wait ahile and see what happens. Not for sure, but I'm sure Biff could help you out more on this.

Bobby is right. There should be a rubber ring around the collection cup. You can adjust the position of the rubber ring so that the collection cup sits higher or lower. At the low position, it will collect a lot of wet skimmate (clear, runny). At the high position, it will collect a lot of dry skimmate (dark, thick). You want to try and get dark skimmate so take the next few days to adjust the position of the cup until you start getting dark skimmate. It can take up to a couple weeks to break in, so be patient.

As for the preskimmer, there are different ones for different types of pumps. Each box is made to fit a specific pump. I was running a Rio on my Remora, and it was HARD to get that pump into the preskimmer box, but it did fit. It might take a lot of wiggling to get it to work. Or maybe you just have the wrong box for your pump.

Back