glue safe to use in sump

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Hi,
We put together our sump, but we did not realize that it was important to have a bubble trap. Somehow we thought it was just for a prettier tank. We now realize it is for overall health of the tank.

We are now trying to figure out if there is a glue/sealant to put in the plexiglass dividers. My husband said to fix the sump we have made that we will need to use some sort of sealant. If at all possible, we would like to avoid draining the tank, but of course, the health of our inhabitants is the top priority.

This is how we learn.

Aquarium sealant, your trying to make baffles I assume? Cut your plexy/glass slightly smaller the the walls and glue both sides 1 at a time. Glue, let dry, glue other side. I placed a few cd's on the first piece to set height then glued second piece/repeat. If your local home depot/lowes doesn't carry it your lfs can order it. I bought mine in a big calking tube.

Attachments

• 083.webp
    083.webp
    34.3 KB · Views: 453
In my opinion :D caulking tube and gun is the way too go! Less mess prettier job! this is what I used.

Aquarium Silicone Adhesive - Bulk Reef Supply

Stuff was AMAZING and easy to work with. Also dryed/cured really fast. But your local fish store, or hardware store will most likely carry silicone in the paint department (atleast thats how it is here) Just be careful what kind you get. Some is better than others. 100% Silicone GE I will do the trick. Or DAP Aquarium Silicone sealant sold at Lowes/Home Depot for around $6.99 or so.

Attachments

• 10g Sump DIY.webp
    10g Sump DIY.webp
    7.7 KB · Views: 469
  • materials.webp
    materials.webp
    31.9 KB · Views: 438
  • 37gproject.webp
    37gproject.webp
    18.3 KB · Views: 451
Back