Frags to look for?

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
So today I need more water and TVNCG (read my blog for full details www.catherinethereefkeeper.blogspot.com) at my LFS gives away RODI water. I go there and he's telling me about all these frags he got in today and after he gets them unpacked and inspected I should come back tomorrow because he's got some really great stuff. I tell him I'm barely able to take care of Stella, my GSP, and he says oh, you're ready, you're totally ready! Now, my tank has been set up since Nov 1st. Started with LR and LS, haven't had a "cycle" that I can tell. Am I really ready for more? I don't want to go to fast but it would be really cool to get more! If I am ready for more, are there any other corals that are super easy like Stella?

As always, thanks,
Catherine

:twocents:To be honest I would wait. Having personally gone throught the newb disease (and sacrificing a few corals to the reef gods) I can say from experience that patience is a virtue in this hobby. Good luck with whatever decision you make.:D

How much are the frags?
We have an LFS with a $5 frag tank and I've gotten a couple of those as well as a $15 frag. At those prices I say why not! :D My tank has not been set up long either. You can check my build thread to see exactly when it was set up and when i started adding coral... like a couple a weeks ago. haha

I'd think that you'd be alright with a frag of zoanthids or maybe some xenia.What ever you do,DO NOT get a kenya weed oops,sorry,I ment kenya tree.

IMO get a fish to test your nitrification capability. If that doesnt cause a spike then get a coral. Fish are much much more tolerant of water quality issues than corals and inverts.

yote, I love the Kenya trees! What's wrong with them, are they hard to keep? Thanks, Catherine

Looking forward to seeing some more of your shots!

no they arent hard to keep at all, its just that there is no way to kill them or control there rate of growth, you put a small piece in there and then 6 months later your entire tank is kenya, its an infestation

I was thinking about a fish but I haven't picked out what I want yet. My LFS had a cute puffer fish but later learned that I don't want one of those. Today, I watched a goby build a hole by carrying rocks around in his mouth. LOVED watching him! I've heard they tend to jump though. Also watched a striped fish with a skinny nose and a big eye on his top fin. don't know what kind he was but he looked cool. He was kinda boring though, he just swam around. I was thinking if there was something like the GSP that was hard to kill then maybe I would get that but otherwise I'm happy to wait. I like watching the snails and crabs do their work! Thanks for the advice. Catherine

yote, I love the Kenya trees! What's wrong with them, are they hard to keep? Thanks, Catherine

Looking forward to seeing some more of your shots!

Actually the opposite.They are indistructible,multiplying at a crazy fast rate.

What lights do you have?
Depending on lights,your system isn't mature enough for anything except some of the easier soft corals like the others mentioned.

That fish sounds like some kind of butterfly,Did it have copper colored verticle stripes?Could be a copperband butterfly.

And I'm fixin to e-mail ya some pics.:D

yote, how do you do it, I'm not that good at describing fishes, you are some awesome fish detective! Google image of the copperband butterfly was exactly what I was looking at today! He didn't build a cool hole like the goby or eat stuff like the puffer. I get precious few inches of fish, I want something very entertaining!

Catherine

looking forward to the pics!

Mandarins are pretty fish, but one would not survive in a small tank like yours, especially a new tank. Most mandarins only eat live food, and they'd quickly wipe out anything living in your tank and starve to death.

The exception is if you can find a mandarin that has been trained to eat frozen food. If you see a mandarin in a store, as the LFS to feed it for you. If it eats the food, then the mandarin would probably be just fine in your tank. If it doesn't eat, then leave it for someone with a 100+ gallon tank, which is how much space it needs to get enough food.

Dustin, I guess my fish supply is diminished then. I'm ok with that. With my tiny tank, I won't be buying much in the way of fishes. Thanks for the heads-up!

Catherine

I'd hold off on frags unless there really cheap like $5. Zoa's are a maybe if there really cheap like that.

I have a Kenya weed as Yote refer's to them. I love it for one reason. It grows like made dropping little one's everywhere, I get $5 for each one at the LFS, that can help buy thing's I can't quite afford. Other than that, I can't stand it.

Copper Banded Butterflyfish normaly die. They don't eat every well in our tanks. I have one I guess I lucked out, had him quite sometime now.

Picasso, I'd like to suggest two books to you. They are very much worth buying them. They give you a little knowledge & care on the fish & inverts. Just click the link below.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4992

The fish & invert books. I use these more than anything. I take them into the LFS store and if I'm not sure about it, I look it up. Really helpful books.

:)

Thanks! I just ordered the books!

Catherine

Your more than welcome:D. I love them. While they don't have every fish or invert out there, they do give the general idea. Don't take them to much to heart, there are some fish in there that can be had. But more of a general Idea really. Still though, if you see a fish, find it in the book and it says, Hard to feed, or not reef safe or something, please don't be afraid to ask about it anyway. Some of the fish in the books have changed in recent years to fish we can keep. Either way I think you'll find the books have a wealth of information.

Glad I could help.

yote, how do you do it, I'm not that good at describing fishes, you are some awesome fish detective! Google image of the copperband butterfly was exactly what I was looking at today! He didn't build a cool hole like the goby or eat stuff like the puffer. I get precious few inches of fish, I want something very entertaining!

Catherine

looking forward to the pics!

Lets just say,that my favorite fish are the butterflys.And I'm trying to do some research to figure out which ones are SPS safe-ish.

Back