Found a couple things in tank

clancaster23

Reefing newb
Found a couple things around rock in my tank today. Just wondering if they are safe to keep in a reef tank.

First would be what I believe are a featherduster type of thing. But not near as big. They are pretty small, white, but on the ends of them you see little feather-like tails on them. There are several of them on one of my rocks, one that is larger than the others. I count at least 10 of them and that's just what I can see.

Second, while looking at those above, I noticed a few small creatures that looked more like bugs on the rock next to it. They were very small but barely visible to the eye. They look to be almost transparent. They were crawling on the rock and I can see three or four of them. Any clue?

I'd agree with the featherdusters but I don't think the little things are copepods or amphipods. They aren't swimming at all, they are staying on the rocks. And they don't look anything like either of those. They are maybe the same size but they are long and thin. They do have a set on antennae.

More than likely they are mysis shrimp and yes they are a good thing
not only do they eat the micro junk and algae the fish love to eat them too

Got a pic of the dusters but couldn't get the little guys to come out and my camera probably wouldn't get them anyways. The duster is the biggest one I have seen in the tank. What type is it?
IMG_0326.jpg

I have both of these you have described, millions of feather dusters over rocks and glass, and they are isopods and copepods, that you have described, mine do the same thing. But i also have some that swim.

They are a feather duster and will come and go in the tank.. The more the nutrients in the tank the more of those you will see...:D I would also say the bugs are a type of pod (isopods,amphipods, copepods, etc)

Last edited:
Back