Flowerpot Coral.

We are headed to a 30. Trying to decide if its better to get a 29 Biocube or should I put together from scratch. My husband has already seen that there is little forgiveness in a 14 gallon. Anything you would suggest so the clown will leave the flowerpot alone? One of the LFS guys said your tank is small so if you get anything especially as a beginner get a carpet anemone and put it on the sand bed.

Thanks,
Angie

A carpet anemone in a 14 gallon?!?! Those things are huge and highly aggressive -- they will eat anything that happens to swim by it, including sometimes even the clowns that are hosting it! I would be very wary of any advice this LFS is giving you; that's a terrible recommendation.

You can cover the flowerpot with a plastic basket or mesh to keep the clown away from it. Other options are adding hairy mushrooms or a toadstool leather, both of which clowns seem to host and can withstand the beating from the clowns. Whatever you do, getting an anemone is a bad idea -- there is no guarantee that a clown will host it, they are difficult to keep alive, and can easily crash your tank wiping out everything else in it. And carpet anemones are a bad idea unless you have a very large tank and are willing to sacrifice some of your fish that get too close to it.

Don't worry. I have ZERO interest in any anemone. I will look from afar on the anemone. They are cool but not for me. Maybe a hairy mushroom. I will look into it. Previously this flowerpot was hosted by a huge Clarkii Clown. Is the white stringy stuff from stress?
Thanks for all the help.
Angie

Back