Filtration Question:

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
Ok, I'm going to add a sump/fuge to my 55 gallon horse tank. Rather than re-invent the wheel and build my own system that may or may not work I would like to buy (copy?) something that does work. Can someone please explain the difference in filtration between these two units?

Eheim Professionel Wet/Dry Canister Filters

CPR CR3000 Wet-Dry Filter

I know that the first is an "all in one" meaning the pumps, tubes, bars etc are all included and the second one needs additional purchases to make it work. What I would like to know is once the water is inside the box what is the difference in cleaning the water?

Also, am I right in reading that even if you do spring for that first one a skimmer would still need to be purchased/built? If I wanted to add a refugium could I do that?

I'm over complicating this aren't I? How do you keep it simple?

Thanks,
Catherine

RC, is it the wet/dry part that causes nitrates? What does a DSB do to the water quality is it something in the sand like a bacteria? My LFS guy is in love with the wet/dry thing and swears that they work as long as the water "trickles" over the balls and is not submerged. Another person told me the only true way to clean water is the way nature does it, by putting it under a UV light. What about adding phytoplankton? Ugh, this is confusing.

C

wet dry filter work very well at getting rid of nitrite but not nitrate. you need an spot for anorobic bacteriato get rid of nitrate. such as a dsb. i had a wet dry for a long time and never had any trouble with it but there have been many people that have had tons of problems with them. is it the wetdry, husbandry of the tank or a combo of both i dont know but in the 10 years that i use one i had no troubles because of it at all

Last edited:
Thank you! That helps :) It seems like you just want to try and do a little of everything, keep your water moving in the tank AND do your water changes. Sigh......

C

I agree 100% with James. I used a wet/dry with bioballs for over 15 yrs and never had a nitrate issue. Seems like blaming nitrate issues on a wet/dry is just an easy excuse instead of finding the real source of the problem.

RC, is it the wet/dry part that causes nitrates?

Okay, in simple redneck terms. Somebody might want to argue specifics or even semantics - but I'm going to post MY understanding of the nitrogen cycle. If anybody has a different way to describe it - fine by me. This is MY particular understanding of how it works.
(ya practically gotta be a lawyer before you can even think about discussing anything technical around some of the users on this forum :grumble: )

Nitrates are a natural part of the nitrogen cycle. Any time aerobic bacteria break down the waste in our tanks it going to contribute to nitrates. Live rock causes nitrates :shock: - yup. And it also breaks those nitrates down. Wet/dry filters cause nitrates too. It's a natural part of the nitrogen cycle. So do canister filters. And undergravel filters. And reverse movement fluidized sand beds. And HOB filters like those Whisper bio-wheel things or Penguin whatever things - HOB filters with cartridges that slip in and out.

Nitrates are a part of the cycle. Unfortunately, they are an unwelcome part of that cycle. So the challenge to the reefer is how to get rid of the nitrates. First you need to know a little about the bacteria that cause these nitrates. These are the kind of bacteria that live where there is plenty of oxygen. They are called aerobic bacteria. A generic term for any bacteria that lives in an oxygen rich environment.

Aerobic bacteria break down the more complicated ammonia compounds like fish pee, uneaten food etc... That ammonia gets broken down into nitrites and then those nitrites get broken down into nitrates. All this conversion is performed by aerobic bacteria. They colonize on the surface of almost everything in your tank. They grow on the sand grains, the pipes, the rocks, even the shells of the snails and crabs. They are mircoscopic bacteria that absorb and digest these compounds from the water. If there is oxygen - they are there - doing their job to break down the most toxic compounds in your tank - but at the same time they leave behind nitrates. Thats when these little bacteria stop. They don't have the ability to absorb and metabolize the nitrate compounds. So the nitrates build up in the tank unless they are removed by water changes or filtration.

For breakdown of nitrates, you need anaerobic bacteria. These bacteria live in an oxygen depleted environment. They live deep down in the sand bed where there is significantly less oxygen or sometimes even no oxygen at all. They live deep inside the live rocks in your tank, where water circulation might be 1x turnover per DAY. These anaerobic bacteria can break down the nitrates. The end result is harmless nitrogen gas. The nitrogen gas bubbles out of the sand bed and gasses off at the water surface because of water movement generated by powerheads or filters.

What does a DSB do to the water quality is it something in the sand like a bacteria?
The DSB is where the anaerobic bacteria live. It needs to be at least 4" deep. 6" deep is better and 8" is even better. The AEROBIC bacteria live in the top 1" -- 2" of sand where there is plenty of oxygen. This is also where many of your pods (copepods) live. The reason a DSB works is because most of the oxygen is used up by the surface inhabitants. By the time you get down 3 or 4 inches into the bed - oxygen levels are reduced enough that your ANAEROBIC bacteria will begin to grow. Even though the water is fluid and moving through the sand bed, most of the oxygen still gets used up long before it can penetrate into the lower regions of the sand bed. The nitrates are still there though. When the water moves all the way down to the lower regions of the DSB the anaerobic bacteria will feed off the nitrates and break it down. The resulting gas is harmless nitrogen. It works it's way up through the sand bed and off-gasses at the surface of the water.

My LFS guy is in love with the wet/dry thing and swears that they work as long as the water "trickles" over the balls and is not submerged.
You need to keep detritus and debris off the bio balls. That means washing them frequently to remove stuck on goop and rotten organic materials. Most people wash the balls in salt water that was removed from the tank during a water change. The reason bio-balls get blamed for nitrates is because they DO produce nitrates.. It's the natural breakdown of the chemicals. Bio-balls and any other filter that relies on oxygen is going to produce nitrates. PERIOD. It's how you the reefer handles those nitrates. Do you remove them via water changes? Or do you build a nitrate reactor and use a mechanical device to remove/reduce them? Or do you let nature do the work for you (my preferred method) and use a DSB?

Many bio-balls get no maintenance at all. They are left to collect and trap rotten food, fish poop, etc.. for months or even years at a time. This will certainly contribute even more to the nitrate problem because the trapped debris is left to rot and dissolve into the water. These solids should not be left to rot. They should be removed from the water either by your CUC, mechanical filtration or some other method. Poor tank husbandry leads to nitrates. But you can't blame poor tank husbandry on ALL nitrates. Don't forget that nitrates are a natural step in the overall nitrogen cycle. They will get produced and you will have to deal with them. Again it's how you deal with them. Be it natural, mechanical, water changes or perhaps some other way.

Another person told me the only true way to clean water is the way nature does it, by putting it under a UV light. What about adding phytoplankton?
I can't comment. Never used one.

Ugh, this is confusing.

C
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Wow, Thanks! That's the best recapitulation I've read!

If DSB's are so wonderful, why don't we have them in our tanks? Plants and phytoplankton eat nitrates, shouldn't we all use them too?

C

Wow, Thanks! That's the best recapitulation I've read!

If DSB's are so wonderful, why don't we have them in our tanks? Plants and phytoplankton eat nitrates, shouldn't we all use them too?

C

We DO!! :mrgreen: I have a 6" DSB in my 30H display. It's 24" deep, so taking up 6" of space at the bottom isn't a big deal. It's STILL 18" of water depth with the DSB in there.

People also use mangroves, cheato, cholerpa (sp?) and a host of other macro algae in the refugium. Some people even find really beautiful red macro algae to place in their tank.

I keep a lot of macro algae, red bush, brotycladia and others in my tanks and I have never had a problem with nitrites, my nitrates want to creep up if I don't keep an eye on it. So the macro algae is aesthetics? I've read some sources that say keeping a deep sand bed is a problem because it can create gas that escapes into the tank?

C

DSBs have a tendency to crash after running for several years, and the crashes often kill lots of tank inhabitants. That's the main reason why the jury's still out when it comes to using DSBs. Granted, it takes a long time for them to crash, but it does seem inevitable in tanks that have been using a DSB for years. Which is why one of the most common recommendations regarding DSBs is to run one remotely, so that you can disconnect it from the main tank easily. And you're right about the cause -- the leading idea is that toxic gases build up in the DSB over time, and all of a sudden those get released, killing everything.

With that in mind, I have always run my DSB remotely (plumbed separately from the main tank), and I would never recommend that someone run one as an inseparable part of the tank.

Ehhh I don't think that 6" counts as a DSB. I believe it has to be at least 9" deep to be able to accommodate anaerobic bacteria.

From personal experience............ thats BS. I know 6" works.

But I'm not going to argue specifics or semantics with anyone - so have fun Biffy. :Cheers:

I don't think there is enough consistent evidence to say that a given DSB will crash. People crash tanks every day with all different kinds of filtration systems.

I say-------------- BIO-BALLS CRASH TANKS!! Run for the hills everybody!! Panic!!! :helm2:

pffffft :grumble:

Well, yes, DSBs can cause tank crashes. It is well documented. Just because people crash tanks in all sorts of ways does not somehow mean that DSBs can't crash a tank. They are not 100% safe, so why not research them and learn about the pluses and minuses, and learn how to set one up correctly? Why wouldn't you set it up so you can avoid that risk? It's so easy to do.

Just because something can have negative side effects doesn't mean it's a bad idea to use it. So why not just use one intelligently to minimize the risk of a tank crash? Like I said, use one, but plumb it in a way that you can disconnect it from the main tank easily. I used a DSB for years in my 240. And I loved it. And I'd use one again. But you have to use it the right way in order to minimize risk.

Last edited:
i have a plenum and dsb in my sump. there is a lot of stories the i have read about people and DSB that when they crash it was becasue somebody was messing with the sand and that is bad gass in the sand and then the tank crashes. i have read that the best way to have a DSB is to also have something that keeps the sand moving and clean so that this gas does not build up to lethel levels like a tiger tail cucumber is a good one to have in a DSB.

by the way you did a great job at explaning the nitirogen cycle RC

So, if I dose my tank daily with phytoplankton, wouldn't that help with nitrites/nitrates?

Thanks,
Catherine

No, probably the opposite. Phyto is a food source for other animals. If the phyto doesn't get eaten, it decomposes and causes your nitrates to rise. Overfeeding is one of the most common causes of high nitrates -- and phyto isn't really different from other types of food in that respect. People that dose phyto and don't have enough animals to eat it usually have algae problems.

Back