Filtered tap water ok?

Ok, that's what I thought (i have copper water lines) so is that bad? Or is my Filter Guys RO/DI removing everything?

OMG! I didn't realize I typed Chicago....habit I guess. I moved to Rockford almost a year ago. Guess I need to change my information.

Well the emerald crab is doing a bang up job of cleaning the brown stuff on the LR and the substrate. I originally assumed this was algae but now that you all have educated me on the evils of tap water, I realize this is probably diatoms. Whatever it is, the little guy is eating it and the tank looks much better. I have ordered an RO/DI unit from http://purewaterclub.com. I researched several of the links that people posted and they seem to have the best price. Thanks guys! There is so much to learn and this site has provided a multitude of information. I find myself eating dinner in front of my tank now instead of the TV. Much more interesting. Although the fish are nice to watch, I find myself scrutinizing the LR for signs of life. Other than the algae, haven't seen anything yet....I know, I know, patience is the key. I wasn't sure if I wanted a fish or reef tank but think I'm leaning toward reef. Maybe this can be my practice tank and in, oh, ya know, 5 years or so, I will have learned enough to tackle the reef side of this hobby.

yea, i said "oh in so many months or years i'll wanna" and then i found myself a couple weeks ago jumping that schedule... it'll happen.. it does to the best of us...

my fish tank is definately more interesting to watch that whatever dancing with the morons show the wife is normally watching....

I'll give ya 6 months and you'll be eye balling corals:D
And if you really want to see life on your live rock.Get a small flash light with either a red lenses or red bulb ( those small LED lights are perfect) and spend some time going over the rock after the lights have been out for a couple of hours.

Thanks yote! I'll try that. I have put a regular flashlight on the rock but just during the day. Just what I need.....more encouragement to obsess over my LR. This hobby has become an addiction. My neighbor recently asked me if I bought a big screen TV because she saw me through the window with my chair pulled up to the tank. She was like "Why are you sitting so close to the TV". I explained that it was my new tank and went into great, gushing detail about it. She didn't seem as excited as I was....oh well.

Back