Filtered tap water ok?

chiqui bb

Reefing newb
I have a whole house filter that uses a carbon/sediment filter (see link below). Is this adequate for filtering my tap water? I installed this prior to getting into this hobby and don't want to spend additional money on a RO system now. I used this water to start up my tank and have had good readings so far (see chart below). Just concerned about future water changes.

GE® Heavy Duty Replacement Household Sediment Filter | FXHTC | GE Appliances

History09/27/2009 Purchased aquarium09/29/2009 Added water, salt, accessories10/03/2009 Added 1 live rock & aragonite 10/03/2009 Added 3 Damselfish 10/06/2009 Added protien skimmer, more live rock 10/06/2009 Power loss for 5.5 hours, temp dropped to 7210/07/2009 Purple/yellowtail Damselfish dead10/08/2009 Blue Devil Damselfish dead10/09/2009 Added 1 Engineer Goby 10/17/2009 Added 1 Yellow Watchman Goby 10/17/2009 Added 1 Emerald CrabTest Log10/4/200910/5/200910/7/200910/12/200910/17/2009Temperature7878787878PH8.48.48.48.4 AlkinityVHVHVHVH Nitrite0000 Amonia .25Salinity1.0181.0181.0201.0201.020 add salt 1.020

first of all if you just set up the tank and added water on 9/29 then its too early to be adding any fish at 10/3 the tank wasnt cycled...

and you wont really know for sure how bad that water is untill the tank matures a bit and you start into the algae cycles...

get yourself a tds meter, i did, and the things that i have learned would amaze you...

also, i would suggest that you take a couple ziplock baggies of your tap water to your LFS and ask them to test it for everything... then you know what you have... if you have disolved solids, like silicates in the water, like we do here in texas, then your just asking for troubles down the road...

Thank you for your reply. I should have given a little more info. At the recommendation of my LFS, I added the damsels to help cycle the tank. Now I know there is a better way. They also told me the live rock would help. I have had my water tested twice at two different LFS and both times it tested ok. The first live rock I put in the tank has developed alot of brown/auburn algae that is transferring to the substrate. The second live rock is covered by approx 1/3 light purple algae with a few clumps of deep burgandy algae. The LFS recommended the crab to help keep this in check. Is it possible for the tank to have cycled already or am I just delusional?!

I would guess no, that's not enough filtration. I have a whole house water softner and filter. Hague Water Max. Google it if you want to compare to yours. I also have a 5 stage RO/DI and the TDS meter (like project5k mentioned) is hooked up before the last stage. It reads 2-3ppm on the way in and the last stage makes it read 0. So even with the house filter I still have TDS registering. It also depends on how bad your tap water is to begin with. To be safe, I would either get the RO/DI filter (they are actually fairly inexpensive compared to most things in this hobby) or get RO from your LFS or distilled from the grocery store. In the long run, you are better off with your own RO/DI.

+1 to everything project said. Spend some time researching these forums for how to properly cycle your tank. Patience is key in this hobby. While it's cycling you could be saving for the ro/di. ;)

Good luck!

Side note to dcantuscon: I see you are the Great Crab Whisperer! Question: I have less and less confidence in my LFS advice. Was the emerald crab a good idea to help with the algae problem? I put him in on Sunday and in just a few days he has cleaned the live rock of most algae (was hoping he would concentrace on the substrate instead!). At this rate, he will have nothing to eat soon. What are your thoughts?

Crabs typically won't feed off the substrate, they like to pic at the rocks and corals. You need something like a diamond goby if you want the top of your substrate to stay clean. But they can move A LOT of substrate... possibly more than you would like.

At the recommendation of my LFS, I added the damsels to help cycle the tank. Now I know there is a better way.

Not another evil LFS. As mentioned above you`ll really need to test the water to know for sure. If it was me I would get a RO/DI unit and be for sure.

I have a Rainsoft water softener in my entire house. My nitrates were off the charts.. Started off at 120+ ppm using water off my treated tap. I switched to ro/di, and now, no more nitrate problems. So, +1 to everyone :)

I got an ro/di and a tds meter to go with it. One of the best purchases I've made. My favorite lfs is a 20-30 min drive and I don't feel like doing the drive everytime I need a water change.

just wait until that engineer goby grows up. he will move your substrate and rocks.

as mentioned check your TDS if its more then 5 the water shouldn't be used for your tank. as far as the algae goes it sounds like your tank is hitting its cycle, it should equal out and go away on its own. Purchasing or using the proper water will save you time and money in the future.

What type of filtration do you have?

Filtration: Protien skimmer - just now getting a little scum in the cup - this started after the emerald crab was added. Also using a power filter that hangs on the outside - two large carbon filter packs- checked them last week and still pretty clean. Just ordered a hydor koralia powerhead to move the water and hopefully help dislodge some of the stuff in the rocks.

Yes, the engineer goby is already moving substrate under one of the rocks. Wow, what a worker he is!

are you testing your ph, salinity, nitrite and nitrate levels every couple days at least? watching thoes change is how you know that the tank is cycling, when phosphates and nitrites fall off, and nitrates comes up, thats when you know your getting near the end of the cycle... if your not testing, start now, or you wont know for sure when the cycle is over....

also, i have read some articles about using "softened" water in a marine aquarium, and they warn about doing that cause some of the salt that is used in water softners has stuff in it that you dont want in your tank, so i wouldnt use it, unless you are absolutely sure you have safe salt in there, AND that there isnt any copper plumbing in line, or your gonna be putting that in the tank as well, and over time that can cause you other problems...(copper in the tank is bad for some of our animals)

My house is OLD! For Houston, anyway. 1960 build date. Wouldn't that mean i have copper pipes? Or were they still using steel?

yea, the only way to know is to look... i know mine is all copper, and so is my electrical, i checked that before i bought the place... oh and mine was built, (well the inspection tag inside the breaker pannel) shows approved june '72 so i guess thats when my house was built.. looks about right for the avacado green sinks and tub.

oh geex, and my wife intentionally painted the inside of the front room and hallway with that orange, and now she's complaining that she hates it, which is what i told her would happen 5 years ago when she did it...

but then again she's a UT fan, so theres no reasoning with her...

Back