Feeding

Marke86

Coral Junkie
How often should I feed my two clowns and how much? I often find myself feeding them until nitrite shows then starving them till it goes away. I need to find a happy medium.
any advice that works for you guys would be much appreciated

I only feed 2 medium sized twezzer pinches every 3rd day.Thats for the whole tank.They get more natural foods off your live rock than you think.

I feed a lot and have no quality issues yet...three times a day.Most people only feed once a day or every other day.I have anthias that wouldn't survive if fed every other day.You will need to find a balance between water quality and the health of fish.I read in my FAMA that fish that are omnivores/herbivores graze all day on food.Only the true carnivores like lionfish,anglers etc. goes days without food.If you feed a cube a day its better to split the cube up in three meals rather than all at once.You get the idea,right?You feed more often but not necessarily more food.

I feed my fish once a day. I have around 30 fish in my tank, and I usually give them around 4 to 6 cubes of frozen food per day. 3/4 of the food is eaten by my trigger pig.

Bifferwine:

Does your trigger bother any of your snails? What kind of trigger is it? I'm thinking of getting one as they are my favorite fish in general. I've had Niger, Clown, Undulated and Picasso at various times over the years with my fish only setup. The Niger was my favorite but somehow managed to jump out of my tank through the 1 inch space between my top and skimmer one day.......

The only inverts I currently have in my reef tank are snails. Most are Nassarious so they are hidden under the sand about 90% of the time anyway.

I have a pink tailed trigger, which is considered to be one of the few somewhat reef safe triggers. He (Tangent) hasn't bothered any of my shrimp, snails or crabs, but I do make sure that he is kept well fed.

Back