downgrading

bwaller76

Love my tanks!
Haven't even gotten the tank up and running and I think I am going to get a 55 gallon going rather than the 150. I think my wife is going to use the tank for her freshwater endeavor. This will also allow me to make a three side viewable tank. Any thoughts?

smaller tank = cheaper now

larger tank = cheaper in the long run since you more than likely will want to upgrade from the 55.

Here is my measely two cents......you will be better off going bigger for the saltwater tank. More water volume means you have more room for errors. A small mistake like too much food, a temperature spike, a death in the tank will take a lot longer to register (will be more diluted) in 150 gallons of water than in 55 gallons of water. When you invest an average of $40 per fish in a saltwater tank versus $5 per fish in a freshwater tank, which would you like more insurance on?

Well, the 55 will be much cheaper -- you'll save a ton of money on rocks and lights, mainly. 55s don't make a bad saltwater tank, but you are very limited in what you can keep... You are asking this question on a saltwater forum! What kind of answer did you expect anyways?!?! ;)

Give the wife the 55 gal and keep the 150gal for yourself...just explain to her that her 55gal will be easier for her to run, maintain and enjoy. And that the 150 will be a hassle. You have to sell her a good reason to take the 55.

I say do what your ecenomic situation dictates. Not everyone can spend all that money on lights and all the rock and stuff you will need. It's a question only you can answer....;-)

dont give up the 150 gallons of awesomeness. The biggest things is 1. livestock options and 2. Like stated more room for errors. Its much harder to cause water problems in a tank that size. and since its much more finicky than fw go with the larger tank. Take your time and dont rush it. I know your excited to get things going.

I have a 55. Mistake. I would kill for a 150. I am holding back on buying stuff for this one so I can save up and get what I should have got in the first place. I am VERY limited on types fish, and not a lot of room for all the other fun stuff.

Yeah we discussed it and I'm gonna keep the 150 after all. I told her that if we traded I was going to drill the acryllic and she didn't like that idea lol so we dropped the idea!

Back