Day 3 with fish

reefer2b

Reefing newb
So today is day 3 with fish and small cleaner crew. All my levels are still at 0. I went to LFS yesterday and had them check the levels too. Every one is doing great. I think the snails I got are astraea and not turbo snails. (thanks to Biffs snail link) They don't do much in the sand but like the glass and the rocks. I only see the hermits once in a while and can never find more than one at a time. I've got 3 snails and 3 hermits. What other cleaner crew should I add. I was thinking maybe an emerald crab or something like that. The diatoms are staring to go away a little. I also noticed that some green spots on my LR that came up a week ago have turned light purple so I guess I've got some coraline growth.
My water got a little cloudy when I cleaned the filter. It's not 100% clear yet and the was 4 days ago. It's gotten better but not crystal clear. Since all my levels are still down should I just let it be or do a small water change.
Also I noticed when reading some older posts that there was a mention of letting your s/w set for few days after mixing before adding it to the tank. Is this right? I bought some premixed s/w at the lfs. When I got home I tested it and it came back at .004. :grumble: So I need to add salt to it. I called them and they'll credit me for the money. I just wanted to let them know they needed to check it.

My Tank Did The Same Thing When I Changes My Filter Pad After The Tank Cycled, Now I Change Them Every 2 Weeks So It Does Become Part Of The Tank As Far As Good Bacteria Goes. I Also Ran Chemi-pure In The Filter And Cleared Up The Tank In Less Then A Day. Now I Just Run Diamond Blend Carbon. When I Do Water Changes, I Mix The Water In A 5 Gallon Bucket And Run A Small Hob Filter With Out The Pad To Circulate The Water, I Cover The Top With Foil To Try To Keep The Temp Stable. I LET THIS RUN FOR 24 HRS THEN DO THE WATER CHANGE

Ray Id be careful with the foil being aluminum and all might be better to get a bucket lid and cut it so the filter fits. Ive just learned on here that metal+salt=bad idea.

I think I'll mix it up in the bigger, shake it up, let it set shake again. Then the next day I'll pour it into a smaller container check the salinity and go from there.
So should I wait until I get measurable readings before doing a water change. I don't see much point in doing it right now.

Would you wait untill your car had a rod knocking before getting the oil changed?
Thats how I look at water changes.Better to not have a reading than to wait untill nitrates are at 20ppm,IMO.

My husbands a mechanic so that's a very appropriate analogy. Will the levels jump that high in a few days time? I have some water that I'm mixing now so I might change it on Wed.

It's good to get into the habit of doing regular (weekly or biweekly) water changes. Water changes will prevent a problem with your water quality. Like Yote said, why wait until there's a problem to do one?

Back