Cyclng Clarification

HeyRobi

Reefing newb
First Question: Why does adding live rock to a tank cause the amonia to spike almost immediatly? I know Ammonia is caused by overfeeding and excess waste and so on.

Second question: Once the cycle is over what will happen if I add more live rock?

Third Question: Form what I understand once the ammonia level goes up the next step is the nitrate level to rise once that happens the ammonia level will go down then the nitrate level will go down. Is that the basic format?

1) Live rock has living stuff on it. When it's moved, removed from the water, or changed around, living stuff dies. This die off is what causes the ammonia.
2) If you add more live rock after your tank is done cycling, you may see another cycle. Most of the time it's smaller than the initial cycle, hence the term mini cycle. Sometimes, if it's just a small piece of rock, you don't see any new cycle at all. If you add a lot of new rock, you can trigger a full blown huge cycle.
3) Nope. Ammonia goes up, then nitrite goes up. Ammonia starts to go down, then nitrites start to go down. The whole time, nitrate is going up too. Nitrates do not go down on their own in a new tank -- that's where water changes come in.

First Question: Why does adding live rock to a tank cause the amonia to spike almost immediatly? I know Ammonia is caused by overfeeding and excess waste and so on.Because some of the stuff like macroalgae,sponges,stars,worms etc doesn't survive the cycle.When they die,its starts the cycle.

Second question: Once the cycle is over what will happen if I add more live rock?It may start another cycle but usually it goes much faster this time.The safest way is to get fully cured rock or buy live rock and cure it in a separate container.

Third Question: Form what I understand once the ammonia level goes up the next step is the nitrate level to rise once that happens the ammonia level will go down then the nitrate level will go down. Is that the basic format?
The nitogen cycle-its ammonia to nitrite to nitrate.Nitrates usually will not go down on its own.Thats what water changes are for.Well actually macro algae and a type of bacteria that lives in oxygen deprived areas consume nitrates but thats for another time.

Check the blue boldface.

Ok so would some water changes be beneficial at this stage while waiting on the ammonia to go back down. Also all I have right now is my canister filter my skimmer should be here Thursday or Friday. Should I clean the canister filter? I think no because I dont want to loose any good bacteria that might be forming.

Don't do any water changes til the cycle is complete.Doing so will only remove the bacteria thats trying to cycle your system.

Clean your canister once a week,in a reef tank with live rock,you don't want bacteria to populate the filter media in the canister.The live rock will be the biological filter.

Ok sounds good. I want to end up with about 30 lbs of live rock in there I might just go buy 25 lbs and be done with that phase.

Good advice!
I am not sure if you saw my other post but you saw it coming and I did not act fast enough! The Hermit crab had escargo for dinner! I did kill the astasia though!

Glad to hear you killed the Aip. before they get out of hand.Sorry about the snails,it has happen to most of us.In the future,if you want hermits that clean the algae on the rocks then go with the dwarf blue legged.Those are the only ones I know of that stay tiny.They are still a little bit risky.The Aquatic Critter sells them for $20 for 20.,there real tiny-about 1/4'' shell.I have about 25 of them for almost a year now and they are still pretty small and haven't killed any snails.They do like to crawl on some polyps and leathers for some reason.
Thats just my experience btw.

Hermits will kill snails, it's inevitable. Even if you provide them with plenty of extra shells. Don't do water changes until your ammonia and nitrites hit zero.

Since your tank is cycling,It might also be a good idea to rinse the media in your canister out every couple of days.If you let bacteria build up in it,then it could kick off a mini cycle when you do clean it.

Ok this where I am at:

This is Ammonia its at about .5

11-1-07%20045.jpg

This is another tester I bought yesterday it says I am safe (I think)

11-1-07%20037.jpg

Here is my Nitite level:

11-1-07%20044.jpg

And this is what I almost posted for my amonia level !! I am sure I would of got the newbee award!

11-1-07%20039.jpg

Yeah,I think we could have fixed up there.

Your close,I'd say that another week should about do it.
Hate those color charts,they make my old eyes hurt.

I doubt it would faze a damsel.
Might prolong the cycle though.
Thats the thing about this hobby,every thing you do is slow.

Really!! Because a couple damsels would satisfy my impatience while waiting on the cycle to finish. I thought I could easily wait a week but the live rock got me excited now I just sit there staring at the rock waiting on something to move!! I think its the whole I can't do it that makes me want to do it!!!!

I would not add any damsels. It only makes the cycle longer. I just don't understand why people want to always use them for cycleing their tank when shrimp(type you eat) does the same thing.

Why would you want to add a damsel anyways? It will try to kill any fish you add afterwards. And probably succeed. There are other hardy fish out there that would make a good first addition that aren't murderers. Rethink keeping a damsel... They are impossible to catch once you decide that you are sick of them killing things.

I used uncured rock to cycle my tank.Now if you want to play the waiting game,thats the way to go.
Try watching a tank full of rock a month and a half.

If you want to really see some cool stuff,Get a flash light with either a red bulb or lense cover and check the rock at night.You'll be surprised at whats already livibg in there.

Back