cure live rock

I have my live rock in a tub next to my display tank. My ammonia is at zero but my nitrites are at .5 ppm. I should be able to put the rock in the display tank now right? I thought the whole purpose of curing the live rock was to get rid of dead or dying organisms on the rock. This has occurred since the ammonia is at zero, correct? I don't need nitrite bacteria on the rock since my display tank has plenty. I just want all the dead and decaying junk on the rock to be gone right? Thanks.

No, wait until your nitrites are completely 0. It's not done curing. Right now, your rock has bacteria that eats up the ammonia. It now has to grow the bacteria that eats up nitrites. Once that's done you should get some nitrate readings, then it's ready to dump in the main tank.

The cycle process is basically to build up your bacteria that eats off all ammonia and nitrites. Without those bacteria, nothing till eat the ammonia for a while (those bacteria are everywhere...even in the air, and they end up wherever they find ammonia). Once you have enough of those, then you won't have ammonia problems because the bacteria will eat it up before it starts killing off your fish.

Thanks for the quick reply, i just did a nitrate test and came up with 10 ppm, so i have bacteria that eats nitrites and turns to nitrates, why do i still have any nitrites...

It's not done yet :) It meas there's still not enough bacteria eating the nitrites...but don't worry! You're almost done!

When I was cycling my 125g, the longest part was waiting for the nitrifying bacteria to get in my tank and turn my ammonia into nitrites. Once they appeared, the next set of bacteria came in no time. And within a few days, I went from .5ppm nitrites to 0, and nitrates went up. I did a water change, and I was on my way.

Back