controller

parrotchute

DUSTOFF MEDEVAC
Been trying to find a good temp controller on the internet for a while, but I can't really find what I'm looking for. I'm trying to find one that can control 2 big thermometers (ideally so that if one fails, the other one can pick up the load)
Do they even make controllers like that?

imo spend a little more and get an AcJr.

142$ difference, but you can do ohhhh so much more. Also in the future you can control PH if you so choose.

Yes. I have the Ranco 2-stage. You have 2 options for each of the "setpoints". You can set 1 to heat the tank....when temp drops to X degrees, the heater kicks on. You can set the 2nd one to cool or heat. If the temp goes to Y, the fans (or chiller) kicks on.....OR if the temp drops below X, the heater kicks on. The 2 stages can be set for both to heat, both to cool or 1 for each.

Still haven't gotten around to ordering this stuff yet - does the probe that comes with the ranco work IN the water, or do you need to buy a special probe separately?

Still haven't gotten around to ordering this stuff yet - does the probe that comes with the ranco work IN the water, or do you need to buy a special probe separately?
I used a piece of rubber heat shrink that's used for connecting wires and shrunk it over the probe. I'm not sure it was necessary, but I did it anyway to protect the probe.
and would 2 of these be a good option instead?
I'm sure it will work, but you can't really compare a hobby grade heater/thermostat with an industrial grade controller.

That's true - but I'm thinking it might be significantly more reliable than the traditional heater without the high cost for the controller (where I'd still need to buy 2 good heaters).
My goal is to have a very low chance of a high and/or low side failure in a heater resulting in catastrophic damage to my tank (esp while I'm away for 3 mos and my girlfriend is watching it).
I THINK these might be a cheaper and while not equal, a suitable replacement....what do you think? I def respect all of your opinions (Esp after seeing your tank pics CCCapt!), and if you still think I should go with a controller, I def will!!! Just trying to be practical, too!

As I said, I'm sure that will work, but it's just a heater with a remote thermostat. It's not a controller. They cost aprox $30, so you would have to decide if you think it's more reliable than say, for example, a $25 Stealth heater with a built-in thermostat.
I think I used just about every brand of heater known to man over the years and they all eventually either don't turn on, don't turn off or just simply don't keep a steady temp.

Okay - what's really the diff between a controller and a heater with a thermostat?
I think I AM going to invest in a controller, now looking for 2 decent heaters to use with it...any suggestions?
Thanks!

Back