Circulation

Xandict

Researcher
So if my tank is 155 gallon and my sump is 30 gallon. How much water do I need to flow through the sump an hour? 5x? Trying to get a price on a pump. Also, for power heads, say I have 3 or 4 in my DT, how much water should they flow an hour? 10x? Thanks in advance.

It really depends on what you're gonna keep in the tank...softies and lps's like 10 to 20x turnover where as sps's like 30x to 40x flow rate.

Even with softies I try to get as much flow as I can without disturbing the sand bed. You want to get good flow to lift all the crap off the bed to be skimmed out.

Just a few community fish at first. Don't really want a lot of fish, then later I'm going to try corals. No idea of what corals I want to try yet.

I personally like a little slower flow through my sump.That way my skimmer has more time to do its work on the water coming thro.So I generally shoot for 3 to 4X turnover through my sump.
Flow in the display,Now thats a whole nother matter:D You know you got to much flow in the display when the sand is blowing like a sand storm.
In my 125,I have right at 59X flow rate ( surprised myself because I just figured that up:shock:). But thats something you have to play around with as your tank grows.As you add rock and corals,then the growth of the corals,the flow is going to change.

Would the use of a flow meter and a gate valve on the built-in overflow side and the return (pumped) side to get them synched? That way I'm not off by a little and eventually it overflows the sump because of a little too much coming in or runs dry because of a little too much going out

The overflow will only drain what your return pushes back up.So theres really no need to try and synch those.they'll take care of theirself.Although you may want a valve on the return,just in case you need to throttle it back some.

Is your tank drilled or are you using a HOB overflow?

I bought it on craigslist. It has a built-in overflow with a hole drilled in the bottom. But I've seen no return holes in the sides of then tank. Maybe the old owner ran it over the top. I'm looking to drill 2 holes in it. One on each side of the L shape. It's acrylic btw.

Back