Cheato in my tank?

Eissie

Reefing newb
So im reading about the filtration on my tank (biocube) and im seeing cheato come up. When i got the tank (used) they had live rock in the back and once again, i assumed that was the thing to do, but ya know its not really doing much it seems.

In that back area is it supposed to be full of water or not?
And should i take that rock out and use some cheato?

In a chamber in the back, you can put some chaeto im pretty sure, but they need light.
I have seen someone put a LED lighting tube down into the chamber with a protecting plastic around it, keeping the chaeto with enough light.
Found the link:
LED fuge light for bio-cube
Huh, it never gave a for sure answer on if it worked or not, just a well it seems fine. So what kind of lighting would you think because all the links they gave were dead. Any suggestions?

And what exactly is the ups of using cheato?

well you could make some of you own leds, and put them inside some kind of plastic solid tubing.
I would say they would have to be small power 1w LEDs, and probably, wont need alot either. otherwise you risk burning the chaeto.
Basically what it does is its like a leech, it will suck up all the nitrates and phosphates, it keeps good "water purity".

My JBJ said the center section could be used as a fuge you would put rubble in the bottom and cheato in the filter basked and then buy this neat little LED light to put on the back with the included magnet on the back $50.00 Never really got it to work as promised. Just keep up on your water changes I would go with a skimmer more bang for the buck. FYI when you do your water changes siphon the water out of those back chambers you would be surprised how much bad stuff settles in the bottom.
PS. Want to buy a JBJ LED Light?

My JBJ said the center section could be used as a fuge you would put rubble in the bottom and cheato in the filter basked and then buy this neat little LED light to put on the back with the included magnet on the back $50.00 Never really got it to work as promised. Just keep up on your water changes I would go with a skimmer more bang for the buck. FYI when you do your water changes siphon the water out of those back chambers you would be surprised how much bad stuff settles in the bottom.
PS. Want to buy a JBJ LED Light?

Ha, and what price could ya give me. And yeah I have never even ventured into the back of that tank where they have put all those rocks. It scares me as to what might be living back there. My next water is Monday, so I'll get back there and get all the crap ou. I'm sure there is plenty.

I have a biocube and tried LR in the back. Its doesn't do anything! Put it ll in the front display tank. I scraped off the black paint off the back, put a light back there and filled chamber 2 with Cheato.

I have a biocube and tried LR in the back. Its doesn't do anything! Put it ll in the front display tank. I scraped off the black paint off the back, put a light back there and filled chamber 2 with Cheato.

Yeah I have been reading up on doing that. I think it would be neat to see the " guts" of the system too. Did you use and lighting? And what kind?

I got in the back of that tank today and got all the "crap" rock which turned out to be about 5 pounds of stuff that looked like it was picked up out of a driveway. Anyway, there was a godawful amount of crud all in the back of that tank.
Anyone know how to get those plastic grates out of there so I can get to the bottom of that tank?
And where can one get some cheato or other algea that I can put back there?

Back