Canister Filter MOD??

AdeptMrSniffles

I have a Blue Thumb
So could you replace the filter media with LR rubble as well as still running a carbon pad? I was thinking about how people look down on canister filters because you need, or should, clean the filter elements once a week and thought "Why can't you just put LR rubble in canister and make it a minature sump?" So does anyone think it would be possible? or has anyone taken it upon themselves to try this?? Thanks!

I think it would work as well. I just can't afford the space in my stand for a 10G sump/refug. So I think a canister filter filled with some LR rubble would def. help my tank with some extra filtration NOT in the display and a place to run some carbon or phosban.

Well Im ashamed to admit but I run a canister also. All i have in mine is a sponge and carbon. It also has a built in uv. I clean mine out weekly when i do water changes. (hope the sw police dont come and take me away for having it lol) I have no room for a sump either. I would think if you had rubble in it you would start getting alot of nitrates because stuff would get traped in the rubble. You could rinse it in sw weekly might help with the trates not sure how it would be for the rock though.

you can do that if you want it wont hurt anything at all

ted canisters work if its all you can run but they do need good maintence to keep the water quality good

yea thats pretty much the same advice i got about mine, was to dump it and make a sump with a fuge, but if you just dont have the room, then i guess its better than nothing...

which kind do you have? i have a rena 3 basket, and if you go look at my showcase thread, you can see what the inside of it looked like last week when i cleaned it out, after neglecting it for, um, well, way too long.... eww

and i asked the same questions about the gunk building up and getting trapped on the LR rubbel myself.. i would think tho, if you were to be good about it, and could figure out the flow and how to arrange things, that if you could put a mechanical filter inline just before the LR, and change the filter each week when you do your water changes, then i would think you could gain some bio filtration with the extra flow and extra LR.

Back