Buying a pump

little_fish

Reef pro
Im looking to get either a Mag Drive or Eheim pump for my algae scrubber. I was wondering if one brand is better than the other, or if there are other suitable (hopefully cheaper) pumps out there.

I got a Mag 9.5 from Amazon (just under $100) for my sump. It cost a bit, but so far has been well worth it. It was very easy to plumb and moves a ton of water!

I use two mag 9.5s for my sump. good pumps but please inspect them before use, I had a cracked impeller shaft on one of mine right after I got it in the mail.

I have two eheims, both which are silent and very cool running.

My biggest complaint with the eheims is plumbing them. Being that the fittings aren't metric, it takes a bit of fiddling and experimenting if you want to hardline it with PVC. If you're just going to use clear/braided vinyl hose, then it's not a problem: barbed hose fittings are included. It's just too bad the Eheims are so expensive.

That being said, despite being noisy and inefficient (they use more watts and put off more heat) I hear the MAGS are bulletproof, so either way you go you'll get a decent pump.

Back