brainstorm or insanity???

ZOOT098

Reefing newb
has anyone ever put macroalgea in a corner overflow tower or any overflow tower for that matter and made it into a refugium??

seems like 5 gallons of water that could be put to good use??

you could stuff a pretty good amount of cheato in the bottom of the tower

or am i going insane??

i was thinking the same thing

put some cheato in a media bag

and i would bet my overflow gets just as much light as my main tank does

I dont think overflows should be used that way. I wouldt risk any kind of clog. Also, the algae might or might not grow in it. Just not worth it IMO.

Get a fuge. Thats what a fuge is for.

i have a fuge in my sump

i was just looking at my overflow from the side and had a thought

like i said it may be insanity

im sure it's possible. You'd just want to make sure nothing gets sucked into the tube leading to your sump. maybe make a cage that sits around the tube with a bunch of small holes in it.

how about if you cut a piece of eggcrate the shape of the overflow
put the eggcrate about 6" under your overflow tube
and put the cheato in a media bag uder the eggcrate

I've heard of other people using chaeto in the back of an overflow tower.As long as it's getting light,I believe it will be fine.You may have to move it around once a week so it doesn't grow and clog up the drain screen.

so when you are using it in a fuge do you keep it lit 24/7 ? or run the fuge light on the same schedule as your main tank

The towers make a better spot for live rock rubble. Will do a perform a different function than the macro algae but, at least it will use up some of that huge wasted space, and little light is necessary for coraline, plus no clogging problems to work out.

i knew that space was good for something

also when i saw you had replied fatman, i was ready to take an unholy beating for even thinking of the idea...lol :bowdown:

i might try the rubble idea and see how it goes

Ah, I do not beat up everybody for every thing. This time I was even being civil and attempting tactfulness. I have reasons for my what I do. I think I do it well, I might add. Step on a few toes I do, but the info gets out there. I think some people just have ingrown toe nails or some thing, because their toes seem real tender. I recommend pliers for ingrown toe nails. No lidocaine, just grab on and yank real hard. Not you. I was just generalizing.

Last edited:
Back