Blue tang with brown spots

Yes, I feed those as well (dried seaweed) The crazy thing is that the fish acts fine and eats a Ton. He's very playful like a typical tang. I really want him healthy before I introduce him into my display tank.

I found this picture of a fish with HLLE:

HLLE_BlueTang.jpg

Not to add to your worries, but isn't 100 gallons a little small for a blue tang?

I know its the min. size for a tang. But if I can keep him alive til he outgrows the tank, it will be time to upsize! As far as the HLLE goes, the fish has one mark on its head, but most of the crud is on his body on the black area between his tail and his blue oval. Can you tell anything from the pictures. I know they aren't the best quality.

I'd just leave him for the time being, let him settle in some. No more fresh water dips, that will stress the living day lights outta him. Hmm, good question. I'd throw him in the DT tank, but the others might not think that a good idea. Other fish you should worry about?

No, I picked this tang because he was the most aggressive of the 3 choices. My yellow tang isn't very aggressive and is about half the size of the blue tang,

Go to 0:29.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a37MnPcc9Ok&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - ‪Cadbury - Spots Vs Stripes Funny Commercial (Fish Battle)‬‏[/ame]

You could try sending the photos over to the folks at Wet Web Media to try and get the ailment identified. I cant really make out much from the photos that you posted though - so I'm not sure that WWM will be of any more help than we have been

wet web media got back to me- basically said copper was too toxic an should not us. Is this true? Please respond immediately if you know as my fish is soaking in it at as we speak. They couldn't tell much from the pic. I read the link he sent but really didn't find much.

Last edited:
In high doses, copper can be very dangerous to fish. I do not know of anything that copper is used for other than to treat ich, but that has a very specific set of instructions - I dont know what the correct dosage is. If the guys at WWM say the issue looks to be from copper, I'd do a partial water change to reduce the copper concentration ASAP - the guys a WWM are the best at what they do

He just said "much too toxic" but I can't find anything else that says copper is toxic to blue hippo tangs! I'm dosing at the recommended concentration of between 1.5 and 2.0. The fish seems fine. Anyone know symptoms of copper toxicity?

+1 north....they're like the best of the best, I would think. Or maybe they thought you were dosing your dt? Did they tell you what they think is wrong with the tang?

Be VERY VERY careful when you're done and ready to put your fish back in the dt!! If you get any amount of copper in the water, you could do a lot of harm to your inverts.

Back