Bangai Cardinals

Gooseman

Reefing Is An Obsession
I purchased 4 cardinals a month ago and 2 of them paired up right away and started chasing off the other 2 ... now i have one that is brooding at the mouth and not eating ... hasnt for about 4 days now and is hiding some ... i know this is typical when the are carrying eggs ... but i am not sure what to expect when the young hatch ... i am worried that my 3 shrimp and/or sally lightfoot may eat them as they are so small ... does anyone have any experience with these fish :question: what can i do to help the offspring survive?

All the babies will die and the brooding baingaii stands a chance at dieing off as well.

The only possible way they would live is if you had an urchin in your tank and you would be able to target feed them live brine. (most likely all they would eat) as well as smaller foods. (not sure?? some sort of pods?) Either that or try and put them into a seperate tank as they will be snacks for your other fish, including the other bangaii.

I dont have direct experiance with bangaiis, but my brooding pajama died either from not eating or because its jaw became messed up.

i have heard that the babies liked urchins ... especially long tentacle ones ... but are they safe for my reef ... i have never had one before

ummmmmmmmm some say yes some say no... Generally long spined black urchins are ok, but you have to have a glass tank. They will also munch on your coraline... till its gone.

i will if i can save them ... first i have to catch the one holding the eggs and then transfer it to a hospital tank ... gonna be tricky

OK ... i have some bad news ... the male is still not eating and so i am not sure if he is currently carrying or not but i just watched another dance by a 2nd female with the male and BAM :!: out popped another egg sack ... unfortunately she dropped it right over the top of my anemone and well you guessed it they became a high protein meal :cry: now i know that they are trying to mate i will have to keep a closer eye on things ... i still dont know even if they do mate if i can even catch the one holding the eggs ... anyone have any suggestions on that?

Last edited:
ccCapt that is some good reading info Thanks! dustin i have begun to assemble a small tank for them ... i have the sponge seeding in my DT sump right now ... i just hope i wont have to permanently keep them in the isolation tank because of breeding ... but will do what ever is best for the fish i suspect ... this is a huge learning experience for me ... never been a fish daddy before

Capt,You keep posting links like that,and my favorites thingymabob is going to full.
Great sites.

Gooseman,If you can raise the fry.You maybe able to at least support your tank.
Good luck with them.

i will try and Yote your right it will help fund my tank but i am a rookie at this fish raising business ... it may take me some time to get it right .. i only hope my fish will be as patient with me ... i will have to keep you guys posted during this on going saga ... LOL ... if i am able i will post some pictures along the way

Back