Attaching frags

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
What are you guys/gals using to attach your frags to the live rock? I know most frags you can just set them on or inbetween the rock, but what is a good method to attaching frags that don't quite fit in the rocks?

Has anyone used epoxy puddy?

I use epoxy for most of my frags. I don't use the kind that you can buy at the LFS because it's expensive, and is basically the same stuff you can get at any hardware store. I buy mine at Ace, Lowe's or Home Depot. Just use one that says it's safe for potable water and will cure underwater.

Epoxy works great for larger frags, but for smaller ones you can try using super glue gel. Make sure it's a gel. Put some super glue on the frag, and set it where you want it. The super glue will cure underwater. But you have to use a lot of it.

I use epoxy to basically glue corals that are attached to rocks and LPS corals that branch like Frogspawn.I use super glue gel to attached the actual coral to a rock.Don't forget sometimes corals need to be supported/propped until the epoxy dries,usually within 30 minutes.

I use "super glue". We use it all the time in model airplanes. It's actually called cyanoacrylate glue. (CA glue) You can buy it at any hobby store. It comes in thin, medium, and thick.

Thick dries in about 2 or 3 minutes. That's the best for frags.

CA glue was actually developed during the Vietnam war. It is like liquid stitches. They used it on open wounds to instantly close a cut or hole in bodies.

All of you who use epoxy, is it the stuff from the hardware store? Also, after the epoxy is cured is it hard to deatach it from the liverock?

You can get epoxy at the hardware store. Like I said, make sure it says that it's safe for potable water. It detaches pretty easily from the rock. Epoxy doesn't really stick, it just hardens in shape. So you need to wrap it around the frag to attach it.

I just buy the regular epoxy from the online vendors like Dr. Fosters.Maybe I'll order the coralline color kind the next time I need some.Once molded and hardens to the rock its pretty tough to remove.

Back