Are UV Sterilizers Worth It?

I don't use one. I don't think they're necessary for most tanks. But they are good at what they do, if you are have green-tinted water from algae, or a tank with disease-prone fish. For the most part, I think their cons outweigh their pros for a reef tank, becuase in a reef tank almost all your inhabitants partly rely on food from the water column, and the UV sterilizer kills that.

I don't use one. I don't think they're necessary for most tanks. But they are good at what they do, if you are have green-tinted water from algae, or a tank with disease-prone fish. For the most part, I think their cons outweigh their pros for a reef tank, becuase in a reef tank almost all your inhabitants partly rely on food from the water column, and the UV sterilizer kills that.

Thanks, Biff. I was considering a UV Sterilizer as a preventative measure, but I was worried that it may have a negative effect on the reef...

I'm using one as an extra measure to help with an ich outbreak. I have no way of knowing if it helped or not. I was already beating the ich with the vitamin-garlic method before I added the light. I have not lost one fish since I started using the feeding supplements. In the past I lost every fish who got ich.

I've had the UV light on for a little over a month and have not noticed any effect on the corals. But I'm worried about that anyway. I'm going to pull it out soon. I'm also tired of cleaning its intake grill. I have the kind you just drop in the tank because of how easy it is to put in and take out.

What I like about the light is that it made me feel better about the ich problem. Like I was doing everything I could. The fish are symptom free now.

Last edited:
They kill everything that passes through them. That may be good or bad. I have one but I only ran it for a week or so then took it out after reading up on them and asking Qs here. I don't have any fish that are prone to Ich. So i want the pods alive to feed the corals.

There is an article about them some one posted it here maybe for me??? They have to be pretty strong in order to do any good. It also has to do with the amount of exposure the water is in contact with the light. If the water passes through to fast kill the Ich.

I wish I could find that article.

Last edited:
There is an article about them some one posted it here maybe for me??? They have to be pretty strong in order to do any good. It also has to do with the amount of exposure the water is in contact with the light. If the water passes through to fast kill the Ich.

Thats why I like the drop in self contained one. Mine is rated for above my tank size and it has a self contained flow.

They kill everything that passes through them. That may be good or bad. I have one but I only ran it for a week or so then took it out after reading up on them and asking Qs here. I don't have any fish that are prone to Ich. So i want the pods alive to feed the corals.

If you find the article, let me know Piratefish. I'd like to read it over.

Back