AquaC Remora

drm180

Reefing newb
I think I've decided on my protein skimmer. I just don't know which options to get. Should I get the Rio 800 or the MaxiJet 1200 with it? Also, I'm not sure if I should spend the extra $16 on the drain attachment. I'm not completley sure what it is for.

The drain attachment is a small fitting in the side of the collection cup that you can hook a tube to and send the skimate to a larger container. This means you don't have to empty the cup.

I think the 1200 would work better

$200 is the going rate for a new one. That's what I paid for mine (new) 6 years ago or so, and the price seems to have remained stable since then. You can always get used ones for cheaper, if money matters.

I whole heartedly recommend you buy the surface skimming attachment for the pump. It'll triple the production. And also look into the paper towel trick to dampen the noise.

Is it very loud? It's going in my bedroom. Where do you suggest to buy it from. MarineDepot.com has it with the pre filter box for $210. This includes the drain attachment.

Last edited:
Is it very loud? It's going in my bedroom. Where do you suggest to buy it from. MarineDepot.com has it with the pre filter box for $210. This includes the drain attachment.
Its not really loud, just annoying, but the paper towel will quiet that down a lot.

$210 doesn't sound bad. You could probably find it cheaper on amazon or eBay, but if your like me I like making sure my purchases are from an established company such as marinedepot.

Its an annoying sound but with the paper towel trick you'll BARELY hear it.

Yeah. I've had a few problems with eBay and the like so I'm always a little weary to buy something expensive on there. Thanks everyone.

Back