Any supplements for FOWLR tank?

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
I have an almost cycled FOWLR tank and was wondering if any other supplements are needed for the future. Most saltwater supplements say they are for reefs so I dunno if they are even needed in a tank without corals. The salt I use (Oceanic) has reported high calcium of 460 so I don't think that buffer is needed. Is there anything you think I should look out for? Alkalinity, pytoplanktin, zooplanktin, purple up, etc.

I plan to have inverts and fish in this system.

I think garlic and selcon are some great things to have on hand.Always watch alkalinity with your calcium. No need for phyto or zooplankton with just fish. Purple up is up to you, I don't think it is any better then keeping calcium alkilinity and magnesium at there proper levels.

A pH buffer is the only thing I would keep on hand.Yes,having fishfood soaked in garlic and Selcon will benefit and possibly reduce illnesses in fish.

Salifert are the best you can get, but they run $20 to $30 apiece. So they are pretty pricey. The best test kits of the cheaper brands (and the ones I use) are Red Sea and API.

I use the Salifert test kits for calcium,akalinity and magnesium.They are a bit pricey but you do get more test than other kits.I use API for the basic test i.e.ammonia,nitrite,nitrate and pH.

Since Oceanic Sea Salt is supposed to rate at around 460 calcium and decent alkalinity do you think I should get the magnesium first since I really have no clue or should I just splurge and buy all of them. Are they a necessity?

Back