Algae in a cycling tank

No, diatoms feed off of silicates and nitrates. You will always have nitrates as they are the final end of the nitrate cycle.

If you have diatoms, all it means is that you have silicates. They most often show up at the end of your cycle because it is finally habitable for life and they are feeding on the higher silicates that are present in new rocks and sand. When that is used up in a few weeks, they go away. If you are using tap water you many never see them go away because many tap water sources contain silicates.

Seeing diatoms is handy indicator that your cycle is over, but it is not a positive indication that your tank is cycling or has cycled.

So, you should put some food, either flaked or frozen, into your tank to see if it is cycled or not. That is the only way to tell. If you see no spikes in level, tank is cycled, if you do see levels of ammonia or nitrite, you arent done cycling yet

You don't need to wait for them to die off, they'll disappear on their own.

So couple of questions for you, are you using ro/di water? What kind of lights are you using, I noticed on your other thread you had a canopy so it got me wondering if you were using freshwater lights.

I have no idea wat a ro/Di water is. Please explain. Im using tap water with the water conditioner. As for lights im just using standard lights it came with. I dont need special lights for a fish only tank do I? I plan on up grading later on

Well here's the thing, almost all succesful reef tanks use ro/di water which means reverse osmosis/de-ionized water. You get from a special filtration device, I got mine from www.filterdirect.com
The problem with tap water is that you'll have water quality issues down the road which will lead to algae problems. The alkalinity of the water may be really high and there may be other problems with the tap water.

As for lights depending on the K value you'll get bad algae problems. Lights for FW promote growth of plants at a certain light value, for SW tanks we want powerful lights that are good for corals but don't promote algae growth.

Back