Algae in a cycling tank

docta09

Reefing newb
hey, i've been cycling my tank with live rocks for about 2 weeks now and Im not really sure where I'm at. ;) i've tested the ammonia(0),nitrate(low), and nitrite(0) for 5 days now and everything looks like its were it should be. from what i've been reading ammonia and nitrite are suppose to rise and fall but i'm not sure if they've spiked because i've only been testing for a short time. plus i have algae growing on the rocks and a brown coat of something growing all over the sand and rocks. i read this all dies off and is part of the process. is that true? anyone know whats going on. am i on track? is it done? or is everything screwed up ? lol

ok thanks. how about the algae on the liverocks. when i bought them off the guy it had some on it. i wasnt sure if i should wash them. should i clean them up or just let it go? does that die off too?

so i just have to wait it out then. thanks. i had another question. once the diatoms pass. do i do a water change and then add the cleaners or do i just put them in as is.

Hello and welcome to the site...after the tank is complete with the cycle, then you can do a water change 1st, and then add your cuc.

No, the diatoms will disappear once their food source is depleted, mainly silicate I believe. Just wait it out it'll be gone in a week or two.
As for a cycle you may not get a huge spike or anything if you got fully cured rocks from someone and put them straight into your tank. You only get a cycle if there's die off in the rocks.

Bingo. Unless you start off a cycle by throwing in dead table shrimp or something like that you probably won't get it. A lot of people on here order rocks online and they get huge spikes in their cycles because there is significant die off. I personally never had any cycle because I bought rocks and had them in my tank within a half hour.

Ive seen tanks on here I aint ready to sow mines lol. But im confused ... I thought I could cycle just with the rock. From what your telling me the rock has to be dieing?

What I'm telling you is that you probably didn't get a cycle because there was nothing to trigger a cycle. Think of it like this, an established aquarium isn't cycling right, so if you took that rock straight out and put it directly into yours would you get a cycle? In all likelyhood no. So I'm saying you didn't get a cycle or need one. You could do little_fish's suggestion and throw some fish food in there and see if anything happens, but I'm doubting anything will. I personally think you're good to add a fish and some clean up crew.

Back