Absolute beginner.

Solarfall: I'm looking for a tank in that range, so it doesn't matter if it's exact. I just wanted to make sure this thing isn't going to take up the whole basement.

I have reasearched for about 2 months before i started my tank and i found that you should not use a biological filter for reef aquariums, Meaning your canister filter should not be biological. Is this true? They said that having a biological canninster filter can take away the good bacteria that your reef needs to survive. I was also wondering about lighting what do you guys recomend for reef aquariums will PC work?

Live Rock is your biological filtration. Canisters and HOB filters and such are bad because they need to be cleaned constantly or else they'll dump all nitrates that they broke stuff down into back in the tank. So live rock acts as your biological filter and protein skimming is your mechanical filter. Skimming is far more effective than any mesh or foam because it removes the Decomposed Organic Solids (DOS) before they get the chance to break down into nitrates and phosphates. Also, canisters have carbon and other medias, some of which are harmful to saltwater. Some people run carbon but others think it steals trace elements that your corals need to survive. It's kind of a debatable issue. Bottom line is that canisters are far more trouble than they're worth in the long run.

For lighting, it depends on what kind of corals you want to keep. PC lights are usually meant for much smaller tanks or soft corals only. I would get a nice set of T5s for the size tank you're looking for.

I think what you may be looking for is an explanation of what it is comprised of. What makes it live are the many forms of micro and macroscopic marine life that live on and inside of it. The rock itself is only made up of the calcium carbonate skeletons of long dead corals, or other calcareous organisms.

I think that may address your question. Some of us do have experience making your own live rocks. If you have questions about that there is a video made by ed on this forum in the DIY section. It is called DIY rock ala garf. Ed posts a great video which I followed and got great results!

Nemo, Solarfall is right on. You CAN keep a nice tank with canister and HOB filters, but you have to clean them so frequently that it's probably not worth the hassle. And if you slack off and get lazy about cleanings, it's really hard to get your nitrates back down once they have shot up.

Live rock and a protein skimmer should handle all your filtration needs.

PCs are not a good lighting solution for a 75 gallon tank. They just aren't strong enough. Again, like Solarfall said, a set of T5s would be perfect and would allow you to keep anything you wanted.

ok cool. I am starting off with a FOWLR system and eventually going to go to a reef as there is a lot more money involved in a reef aquarium lol. Now when i do decide to go to a reef system what do you recomend for filtration. Can i keep the canister or should i go to something else? and do you guys recomend a place that i can get lights for a fair price.

I got my halides off marinedepot.com for $550. I've seen the same lights go in retail for $900. Of course halides are pretty much the top of the totem pole and you can get good T5s for much cheaper. But that shimmer is just irresistable :)
I would sincerely advise not using the canister and getting a skimmer, moreso with a reef, but you're still going to have to really keep up with cleaning the thing all the time.

Nope. Most rocks that you find laying around are made from different things than rock from the ocean. You want to only use calcium-based rock. For example, a lot of people ask if they can use lava rock -- lava rock contains a lot of metals which end up coming out into the water.

I would not use back yard rock unless your really finse it off. I have a friend that used backyard rock that he cleaned the heck out of and it did work great. but i guess that all depends.

check out this lace rock I got for three dollars today...just fabulous. I dont recommend using rocks around the yard or area, it just seems that there is too much riding on it to risk a metal leeching out and killing everything you have worked so hard for...

lacerock.jpg

Back