A few questions

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
Hello all. Sorry to put all of this in one place, but I don't have the energy to make multiple posts.

Since my dog passed away 2 weeks ago, I haven't felt much like dealing with, well, anything. No, I'm not taking this very well. I have done my normal water changes, and feedings, but thats about it. I'm prepping for another WC and have a few items I need answers for.

1. My Torch is weird. One of the heads has turned white. The tentacles I mean. They are also very small now. The rest of the coral seems fine. Whats up with this?

2. My FEO2 reactor has a nice supply of pods living in it. I would love to get them to the fish, but how? There isn't enough flow to push them out, and if I increase flow too much I will blow the material into the sump. Any Ideas?

3. I noticed today that I have bubble algae in the sump. What critter eats this stuff? Will it also eat my Cheato if added to the sump?

4. I also lost a fish. It jumped when I left the top open one night. How much will this effect the bio load on the remaining life forms? I know it will reduce it, but will it have any ill effects on anything? I will not be replacing that fish. I'm down to 9 and plan on keeping to that level.

Thats it for now. Thanks.

3. Emerald crabs will eat bubble algae, but sometimes you have to buy a handful of them to find one that will eat it. Not sure what your sump set up is, or where the bubble algae is in the sump, but if its in the same compartment as your reactors or skimmer I'd cover the pump inlets before adding the crabs so they don't get sucked in (I don't think it would affect water chemistry if they got sucked in, but might jam the pump causing it to overheat)

4. I don't think the loss of the fish will have any negative impact on your bioload. If it was a large fish then you might want to cut food amounts a little bit, but in your established 90g tank I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I'm really sorry about your doggie. Losses are so hard and I know it can be painstaking just to keep going each day. Hang in there *hugs*

Thanks. I was doing okay until I got the pathology report. I try not to look at what ifs, but it's hard when it is something we might have been able to fight. I miss him so.

Thanks for the other info.

Back