55 Gallon

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
I finally bought a tank. Here is the add, it is from a local guy.

55gallon tank with stand and light hood. comes w/ 1 clown fish/1 blue damsel/1 starfish/ couple of crabs, some mushroom coral, approx. 20lbs live rock. 65lbs of crushed coral. 2 sweepers. protein skimmer, dual bio wheel filter stealth heather, food, lots of chemicals, lrg. pail of salt, test kit, extra decor. Other things I am probably forgetting to mention, but it is a beautiful set-up. If you went out and bought everything i have for new, it would cost you at least 1k. 300$

This is a steal, it is a real nice tank and stand with beautiful live rock. The guy is real cool and is going to help with moving the tank from his house to mine. This is my first aquarium. I think I know enough to keep the tank from crashing. He is going to guide me through the first week. Any words of wisdom you guys have is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, I am real excited:bounce:

First of all CONGRATS!!!

What kind of lighting is in the hood? What type of skimmer? Actually what kind of everything as far as equipment goes?

I would suggest that in the move you get rid of the CC and replace it with a DSB. And I would get either a lot of base rock or a lot of good cured LR to add to the tank.

Sounds like a great deal though as mentioned above I would go with more LR, LR is a natural biological filtration system so you really cant go wrong there and it offers hiding spots for shy fish, and its like a cracker jack box you never know what prizes the next piece holds Ive bought some for a local store here in Chatt (bermuda) and it contained an emerald crab and a hard coral. I would be interested as well on the type of equipment keep us informed, good job!!

I am planning on getting more live rock. With that kind of price, I couldn't go wrong. I am unsure of the brand of equipment, but I know they weren't cheap. The guy knows a lot about SW aquariums. I will find out more details later. I think this is a good base to start from

Squibley by "cc" do you mean crushed coral? And what is DSB?

One other question, what did you guys do to prepare yourself for your first tank.

Thanks alot guys.

Last edited:
I hated my first tank I dont like being patient and that is the biggest necessity when it comes to aquatic life. Other than that I set my tank up cycled it with a portion of store bought shrimp. Waited and tested, tested and waited. Then came the time to begin adding thats when all the fruits of your labor have paid off. Just be patient as possible :P

CC is short for Crushed Coral, and DSB is short for Deep Sand Bed.

As far as getting ready for my first tank I did nothing and just jumped in and started, this is the worst thing to do! I would read a lot and then you should read some about how everything works and then you might want to read a little about what everything is (am I making my point here?). I would go to the helpful articles located on this site mostly done by John (thanks buddy!) and read anything that says starting or beginner or prep or intro and then when you are done with all those read everything else.

I hope this helps!

Well, we just got it moved and up and running. The fish seem to be happy (tomato clown and a blue damsil) however the chocolate starfish hasn't moved a bit. The water is real cloudy but seems to be clearing up. Tomarow a guy that own a Marine Aquarium store is coming over tomarow to help with getting everything at its proper levels.

Back