5 year old sand

youtoo54

Reefing newb
Well I found out today from the guy I bought my 180 tank from (was a fish only tank) that the sand in the tank is at least 5 years old. So is the sand still good? Maybe cause of my super high nitrate problem? Nitrates still threw the roof. Ive pulled the fish and stopped the water changes guess Im waiting on it to finish the cycle (if that is whats its doing). I have chalupra and chaeto in my sump blah blah blah im sure everyone has read the other posts.

Old sand is not always bad sand, depends on how the tank and the sand bed were taken care of during that time.

Personally, at this point i would remove all the sand from your set up. Let it run bare bottom for a bit, and then put in new sand.

It may or may not solve the nitrate issue, but we might as well just rule out the sand bed as being the issue.

What about the water? Should I just take it completely down and start from scratch with new water and sand.... or take the sand out and replace slowly?

Me? Yep....my substrate came right from a 7 year old tank and I filled with 1/4 of his water and 3/4 new. I couldn't stabilize anything and pretty much just drained the tank and bought all new stuff. That's jus me. If u want you could re drain your tank and rinse the sand...like Brian stated

It doesn't have to be live. Dry aragonite sand is cheaper and the live rock will make the sand live over time.

Back