4 T5s for a 29 Gallon???

little_tuna

Reefing newb
So im new to saltwater and this site. :D

I just got my 29 gallon tank and its the standard size 30" x 12" x 18". Its going to be a reef tank once i get the hang of it so i want a light fixture that will go well with a reef.

I really want T5s but i can only find light fixtures for 30" tanks with two T5s which -correct me if im wrong- i just dont think two T5s will be enough wattage for corals and anemones.. The only 30" fixture i have found with 4 T5s is a coralife that i would have to order, and i think the bulbs themselves are actually 30" or so which seems difficult to find replacements later on.

I plan on starting with just some begginer soft corals and anemones so do you have any advice??

Thanks in advance :mrgreen:

At my lfs one employee told me two T5s would be find, another told me it wouldnt and another told me if i wanted four T5s then i would have to buy two dual T5 fixtures

So what do you all think??

I'd go with a 24" four bulb fixture. Two bulbs might get you by with some soft corals, but that's about it. I have a two bulb and my zoanthids are doing fine, but they would probably be thriving with a four bulb fixture.

I would definately go with a 4 bulb fixture.. try to shoot for about 4 watts per gal minimum.. then as you get more sure of what you would like it will give you some room to expand on what you can to put in

If of was me, I'd go with the 36" fixture with 4 T5 bulbs. I also second Ambers recommendation on Aquatic Life, they are awesome. However, do not put a nem in your tank for at least the first year. You need to establish your system, and have very stable water parameters for it to survive. A new tank in it's first year does not offer that.

I have 2 anemones in my tank and its 3 months old many people on the site have them that came with their TBS order and they are doing fine on lower lighting as well as cycle related water fluctuations.

Certain anemones are more hardy and require less light, Condylactis is one of those.

While the standard 'wait a full year' answer might be a common reply to new reefers I really dont think this hobby is that black and white.

While yes, some may be more hardy, there's no reason to risk killing a living thing when there are so many fluctuations that come in that first year of a new tank. The Condylactis is not an anemone that requires less light, it comes from shallow lagoons and inner reefs and requires higher lighting.
Live Aquaria said:
The Condy Anemone requires strong light and should never be purchased if a good lighting system is not in place.
The "hardier" and "lower-light" anemones are mostly the non-hosting type nems. When most people post that they want an anemone in their tank they're almost always talking about a more sensitive hosting type.

Back